Governor-general ‘shocked and troubled’ by Swans sexual assault allegation
Australia’s Governor-General Sam Mostyn has said she is shocked and troubled by the alleged sexual assault investigation that has engulfed the Sydney Swans while warning that a lack of respect for women across the country remained a problem, particularly in sport.
In a rare intervention from a head of state, Mostyn said that sports clubs and the community in general needed to be vigilant about women’s treatment while noting Australia still had “appalling statistics” when it came to domestic and sexual violence against women.
Five Sydney Swans players were on Wednesday suspended for the rest of the season for breach of club behavioural standards as Victoria Police started investigating separate conduct of an allegation of sexual assault from Sunday night. A woman provided a written complaint to city police on Tuesday afternoon, although no charges have yet been laid.
“I was shocked and troubled by the allegation of sexual assault … stemming from the weekend in Melbourne,” Ms Mostyn said, in comments first reported by the ABC on Wednesday evenin g.
“At times like this, we are reminded to never take for granted the need for constant vigilance for respectful treatment of women everywhere; across clubs, the AFL, sport, and the community generally.
“The most important thing in moments like this is to fully accept responsibility, be accountable and take appropriate action.”
Mostyn, a prominent businesswoman, became the first female member of the AFL commission in 2005 and joined the Swans board in 2017. She resigned from that position when Prime Minister Anthony Albanese appointed her as Australia’s 28th governor-general in 2024.
She has commented on gender equality issues since taking the role, after a corporate career that often highlighted women’s issues. Last month, Mostyn publicly backed quotas to install more women in senior roles. However, she has typically refrained from discussing controversies or sensitive matters that are open to investigation, and it is extremely rare for a governor-general to comment on such issues.
Mostyn said her thoughts were with the woman who made the sexual assault allegation, and that she hoped she was being supported.
“I am also devastated for the women of the Swans, whether they are players, staff, fans and everyone involved in the club and women across the industry who have been hurt by this incident,” she said.
“Sadly, the lack of respect for women across the country remains an issue for us all to be concerned about, particularly in sport.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.brisbanetimes.com.au — the content belongs to Brisbane Times.