Thursday 20 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Hundred dead in Central African Republic mine collapse Keen to plant native flowers in your garden? We asked an expert for tips ‘Not another Trump sycophant’: Democrats blast Trump’s nomination of Heidi Overton for FDA chief – live England v Pakistan: first men’s cricket Test, day one – live No criminal probe over Israeli strike that killed Australian Zomi Frankcom Can Andy Burnham tame the power of the Treasury to boost growth? Noah Centineo shares sobriety update: 'Back on the wagon' Police called to Brian Hickerson family home days after Hayden Panettiere's death Hayden Panettiere's body released to her family following autopsy Subiaco council to reconsider development of 110-year-old home after previously refusing plans Hundred dead in Central African Republic mine collapse Keen to plant native flowers in your garden? We asked an expert for tips ‘Not another Trump sycophant’: Democrats blast Trump’s nomination of Heidi Overton for FDA chief – live England v Pakistan: first men’s cricket Test, day one – live No criminal probe over Israeli strike that killed Australian Zomi Frankcom Can Andy Burnham tame the power of the Treasury to boost growth? Noah Centineo shares sobriety update: 'Back on the wagon' Police called to Brian Hickerson family home days after Hayden Panettiere's death Hayden Panettiere's body released to her family following autopsy Subiaco council to reconsider development of 110-year-old home after previously refusing plans
Australian News

'Deep sadness': ex-Swans coach reflects on banned five

PerthNow ·
'Deep sadness': ex-Swans coach reflects on banned five

Sydney's last premiership coach says there's a deep sense of sadness at five banned Swans players being linked to allegations of sexual assault.

John Longmire, the Swans' longest-serving coach, says the suspensions of five players is "flattening" for all involved.

Swans Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon are linked to a police investigation into sexual assault allegations at East Melbourne's Pullman Hotel on Monday morning.

Victoria Police Sex Crimes Squad detectives are expected to soon arrive in Sydney to further their investigations.

The players are yet to be formally interviewed, or charged, but have apologised for their behaviour at the Melbourne hotel.

Longmire, who is currently the club's executive director of club performance, said the on-field ramifications of banning the players wasn't a priority for Swans hierarchy.

"It was just incredible deep sadness ... and that is probably where we're still sitting," he told Fox Footy on Wednesday night.

"Football aspirations weren't part of the discussions, they were very much in the background.

"At the forefront were other people issues - as they should have been.

"The people issues are the things that really led the discussions over the last few days ... the premiership discussions were at the very back-end of anything that was talked about."

The second-placed Swans, with one home-and-away game remaining, are assured of hosting two finals as they seek to win the club's first premiership since under Longmire in 2012.

"It's a challenge for everybody to be able to get through and be able to put one foot in front of the other and get things right.

Longmire was Sydney's head coach from 2011 to 2024 after being an assistant from 2002.

"The culture of the footy club has taken a big hit and it will take time for everyone to rebuild the trust in the football club," he said.

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›