Veterans urge Anthony Albanese meeting over $5000 health cap
A delegation of veterans urging the government to scrap a $5000 cap on allied health services are seeking a meeting with Anthony Albanese after Veterans Affairs Minister Matt Keogh told them he did not have time.
Mr Keogh eventually met with the Coalition of Veterans’ Voices following question time on Monday after reportedly turning down a meeting last week.
However, the delegation returned on Tuesday after seeking a follow-up meeting over the proposed cap.
From July 2027, veterans will be capped at $5000 per year for allied health expenditure, which the government says would “help limit unnecessary servicing”.
Flanked by the group on Tuesday, Nationals leader Matt Canavan said the attitude of Mr Keogh, who had been scheduled to attend a ceremonial event at Government House on Monday, could only be described as “one of arrogance, not respect”.
“Given the inadequacy of what you’ve heard from our veterans and their lack of trust and competency in the Veterans Affairs Minister, I think the least the Prime Minister could do” is meet with them, he continued.
Nationals senator Susan McDonald said Mr Albanese should “excuse himself” from any further acknowledgment of veterans because of the “cruel” cap, which she said was not contained in any recommendations made to the government from the Royal Commission into Defence and Veterans’ Suicide.
“This is a tidal wave of outrage because these people did not vote for a government to be cruel to the people we rely on,” Ms McDonald said.
Former deputy prime minister Michael McCormack said the cap was “insidious, cruel” and unnecessary, and that it was time for Mr Albanese to not only scrap it, but meet with the delegation.
“He could do that today on Long Tan Day, on Vietnam Veterans Day, and it would be wholly appropriate,” he said.
“So, it’s up to the Prime Minister to do the right thing, not just for these veterans, not just to all veterans, but to our nation, because our nation deserves it. These veterans deserve nothing less.”
The delegation conceded they had not formally written to the Prime Minister.
Asked if Mr Albanese was aware of the request for a meeting, Senator Canavan said “well, he’s going to hear it now”.
“So, he can respond. He get on to me, anyone else, and we’ll arrange it.”
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.