Woman at centre of alleged Swans assault taps lawyers
A woman who has had her "entire world turned upside down" by an alleged sexual assault during a gathering of Sydney Swans players has tapped lawyers to look into grounds for a compensation claim.
Consumer law firm Slater and Gordon Lawyers has been engaged to represent one of three women who were allegedly hired as adult entertainers to party with five Sydney Swans players at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday morning.
Victoria Police Sex Crimes Squad detectives are investigating an alleged assault in a hotel room. While no charges have been laid, police on Saturday said the investigation "remains active and ongoing".
Sydney has banned Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon for the rest of the AFL season after saying the players breached club standards at the hotel.
Senior Slater and Gordon lawyer Jackson Pannam has been engaged to probe whether the woman "involved in the alleged sexual assaults" has grounds to file a civil claim.
''Our client has had her entire world turned upside down and is now trying to navigate an incredibly traumatic experience," Mr Pannam said in a statement on Saturday.
''Everyone deserves to be safe going about their life, at home, at work, and in public spaces without risk of being assaulted or harmed.''
The woman was the individual who contacted police immediately after the alleged sexual assault, and is continuing to cooperating with their investigations, the firm said.
A potential civil claim would be separate to any criminal proceedings.
On Friday, a separate firm signalled they were helping two of the women prepare to launch legal action in the Victorian Supreme Court against the five players and the club, according to a newspaper report.
''We are currently investigating the circumstances and preparing to commence legal proceedings against the club and potentially the individuals involved,'' Manny Carbone, a partner at Carbone Lawyers, told The Age.
Carbone Lawyers partner John Karantzis said the two women he represented were suffering severe stress and anxiety and were in fear for their lives after being subjected to "abhorrent actions".
"There's a lot of interest in this case and they are literally in hiding and they are suffering," he told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Friday.
Mr Karantzis couldn't detail specifics, but claimed the women had been subjected to "the most disgusting actions and behaviour I have ever heard about in my 28 years as a lawyer".
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.