Golf course in court as parklands protesters take on SA government
An attempt to halt the state government's redevelopment of the North Adelaide golf course has gone to the Federal Court.
A public servant and a Kaurna Arabana woman are challenging the controversial redevelopment involving the felling of more than 500 trees.
The trial is expected to take five days, with government lawyers to present their response on Wednesday.
In what's been described as a David and Goliath battle, a trial has begun in the Federal Court, with two South Australians challenging the state government's redevelopment of the North Adelaide golf course.
Public servant Edwin Kemp Attrill and Kaurna Arabana woman Janette Milera are challenging the redevelopment, arguing it is in breach of federal conservation laws.
In front of other protesters opposed to the parklands project outside court, Mr Kemp Attrill said the unfolding legal process was "very nerve-wracking".
"It's a big uphill battle for us but we're really proud to be standing here," he said.
Ms Milera said she was taking action because she thought it was the right thing to do.
"This case is about respecting cultural tradition and truth telling," she said.
For [SA Premier] Peter [Malinauskas], it's a new golf course. For me, it's a bloodline.
"This case we're doing is because the parklands belong to the people and they need to be protected."
The state government announced its plan to redevelop and expand the golf course , as part of its bid to move the LIV Golf tournament into the city.
It said 585 trees would be cut down in the process , to be replaced with new plantings.
The state government passed laws earlier this year, taking control of that part of the parklands away from the Adelaide City Council , to allow it to go ahead with the redevelopment.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.abc.net.au — the content belongs to ABC News Australia - Health.