Monday 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Australian politics live: Labor pledges new ‘opt-out register’ for gambling ads; Hill says using super to buy a home gets ‘gold medal for stupidest policy’ Trump’s shocking grab for power will create secrecy for him and his cronies Mother charged over Canning Vale crash that killed four-year-old Laina Leavy Swans CEO 'shocked' by allegations Josh Fraser wins race to become Carlton’s full-time senior coach ‘Shocked and disappointed’: Swans boss speaks as players investigated over alleged sexual assault Smith antics backfire against Bangladesh Sales drop triggers share plunge at retail bellwether Haddara crime boss ‘lying in a pool of blood’ after suspected gangland ambush Trump orders cuts to South Korea joint drills despite warnings of North’s growing battlefield experience Australian politics live: Labor pledges new ‘opt-out register’ for gambling ads; Hill says using super to buy a home gets ‘gold medal for stupidest policy’ Trump’s shocking grab for power will create secrecy for him and his cronies Mother charged over Canning Vale crash that killed four-year-old Laina Leavy Swans CEO 'shocked' by allegations Josh Fraser wins race to become Carlton’s full-time senior coach ‘Shocked and disappointed’: Swans boss speaks as players investigated over alleged sexual assault Smith antics backfire against Bangladesh Sales drop triggers share plunge at retail bellwether Haddara crime boss ‘lying in a pool of blood’ after suspected gangland ambush Trump orders cuts to South Korea joint drills despite warnings of North’s growing battlefield experience
Politics

Australian politics live: Labor pledges new ‘opt-out register’ for gambling ads; Hill says using super to buy a home gets ‘gold medal for stupidest policy’

The Guardian Australia - Australian Politics ·
Australian politics live: Labor pledges new ‘opt-out register’ for gambling ads; Hill says using super to buy a home gets ‘gold medal for stupidest policy’

Community groups and migrant advocates urge Labor against rule changes

Dozens of non-profit groups, multicultural advocacy organisations and social service agencies have urged the federal government not to proceed with changes to limit work rights for temporary migrants.

The home affairs minister, Tony Burke , is working on new changes to cut overseas migration levels to Australia. It was reported last week the package, which is delayed pending cabinet deliberations, will include new rules removing some rights for temporary migrants applying for protection once their claim has been rejected.

Burke’s planned announcement at the National Press Club was delayed this month.

Nearly 150 different organisations, including the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre and Jesuit Social Services, have organised a massive open letter to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese , warning against restrictive changes.

It says removing work rights would strip people of their income and their independence, leaving them unable to pay rent, buy food or meet their most basic needs. Instead the letter urges investment in faster processing of applications, help for legal assistance and work rights.

“At a time when multiculturalism and migrant communities are facing growing attacks and scapegoating, Australia needs leadership that brings people together, upholds fairness and ensures our policies do not further harm communities already being targeted,” the letter says.

This is not the Australia we want to be and it is not the answer to the growing challenges facing our community.

Read the full article on The Guardian Australia - Australian Politics ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.theguardian.com — the content belongs to The Guardian Australia - Australian Politics.

More from The Guardian Australia - Australian Politics

See all ›

More in Politics

See all ›