Sunday 23 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Australian News

Prince Harry ‘makes security appeal to Home Secretary’ ahead of UK return

PerthNow ·
Prince Harry ‘makes security appeal to Home Secretary’ ahead of UK return

Prince Harry has reportedly made a private appeal to Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood as uncertainty over his family’s security threatens to overshadow his imminent return to Britain.

Harry, 41, is said to have contacted the politician directly as he sought clarity over whether he, his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 45, and their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, will receive police protection after relocating to the UK, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The intervention comes after a formal risk assessment was completed by the Royal and VIP Executive Committee’s risk management board at the end of July, but before its findings had been communicated to Harry.

The assessment was completed before Harry confirmed his family intended to move back to Britain, a change expected to require Ravec to reconsider the circumstances surrounding his protection.

Government sources told the Telegraph the Sussexes’ decision to live permanently in Britain rather than making occasional visits “changes the nature” of the security assessment.

Harry is understood to have approached Ms Shabana because he remains concerned about the protection that will be available to his family.

The Home Office has repeatedly declined to disclose details of individual security arrangements, arguing doing so could compromise their effectiveness.

The latest development comes as Harry and Meghan prepare to return to Britain six years after stepping back as working members of the royal family and moving to North America in 2020.

They are expected to live in a private, non-royal residence outside London, while Archie and Lilibet are said to have been enrolled in a British school and are due to begin classes in September.

They also reportedly intend to retain their homes in California and Portugal.

Security has been one of the most contentious issues surrounding Harry since his departure from royal duties.

His automatic entitlement to the level of taxpayer-funded police protection he received as a working royal was removed following the change in his status.

Harry subsequently launched a legal challenge over the arrangements but lost his appeal in May 2025.

Following the defeat, Harry told the BBC: “I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point.”

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

This story in other outlets

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›