Monday 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
2026 GWM Tank 500 prices: Prado, Everest rival finally gets diesel power with new 3.0L If you are still complaining about Australian TV, it’s time to shut up Australian news live: Canavan and Joyce attend anti-abortion rally and back controversial bill; Rinehart owns $1.5bn of SpaceX shares Aurum extends gold resource potential with 80g/t hit in West Africa Coalition, One Nation revive push on abortion crackdown Experts ‘hopeful’ world-first bird flu vaccine rollout can protect little penguins amid fears response is too late Gun buyback opens fissure between city and bush Sir Kenneth Branagh recalls drunken night with Harry Potter stars Johnny Depp 'in talks' for Pirates of the Caribbean 6 Ariana Grande duets with Wicked co-star at London show 2026 GWM Tank 500 prices: Prado, Everest rival finally gets diesel power with new 3.0L If you are still complaining about Australian TV, it’s time to shut up Australian news live: Canavan and Joyce attend anti-abortion rally and back controversial bill; Rinehart owns $1.5bn of SpaceX shares Aurum extends gold resource potential with 80g/t hit in West Africa Coalition, One Nation revive push on abortion crackdown Experts ‘hopeful’ world-first bird flu vaccine rollout can protect little penguins amid fears response is too late Gun buyback opens fissure between city and bush Sir Kenneth Branagh recalls drunken night with Harry Potter stars Johnny Depp 'in talks' for Pirates of the Caribbean 6 Ariana Grande duets with Wicked co-star at London show
Australian News

Teens accused of online ambush murder oppose DNA test

Brisbane Times ·
Teens accused of online ambush murder oppose DNA test

Efforts to collect DNA samples from a group of teenagers charged with murder have been opposed.

Oliver Conroy, 27, was allegedly assaulted and carjacked in the inner Brisbane suburb of Kelvin Grove about 10.30pm on July 24.

Charges against seven teenagers, including two girls aged 14 and 15, were upgraded after Conroy died almost two weeks later.

They face life sentences under controversial “adult crime, adult time” laws introduced by Queensland’s Liberal National government.

Solicitors for six of the teens faced Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday in response to police forensic procedure applications to take DNA samples from the accused.

The samples were needed to help establish which of the teens faced a strong enough case against them to proceed to trial, prosecutor Liam Crowley told the court.

“The DNA may tend to disprove or prove the child was involved in the offences,” Crowley said.

One of the applications sought DNA samples to test against material that had been transferred onto Mr Conroy during the alleged assault.

Another application sought to match defendants to a car and to blood-stained footwear.

One of the children’s lawyers opposed the application on the grounds it contained clerical errors and was not specific enough in the reasons for collecting his 16-year-old client’s DNA.

The application referred to two residential addresses that were unrelated to the boy, Magistrate Lewis Shillito was told.

“It undermines the reliability of the document,” lawyer Alexander Ralston Jones said.

None of the teens was required to appear but a mother of the accused attended court when their child’s application was heard.

Solicitors for five other teens said they opposed the DNA application and sought an adjournment.

Read the full article on Brisbane Times ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.brisbanetimes.com.au — the content belongs to Brisbane Times.

This story in other outlets

More from Brisbane Times

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›