Swans fans divided on staging boycott of men’s match
Swans fans at Sunday’s historic doubleheader were divided about whether to boycott the men’s game after a week of scandal, as some backed the players on the field and others vowed to make a stand.
The dilemma came into sharp focus between the two matches at the Sydney Cricket Ground, as fans walked out in droves following the AFLW win and before the men’s match to be met by those walking the opposite direction to support the men.
Five Swans stars were suspended by the club over late-night drinking and bringing women back to the Pullman hotel in Melbourne after last round’s away match, and there is a police investigation into allegations of sexual assault.
A record-breaking AFLW Swans crowd was followed by a lively turnout for the men taking on North Melbourne, but those who came only for the women made their presence and support known.
Leaving before the first bounce of the men’s match, diehard Swans fan Iesha Veness rejected the idea that the club had done enough and that today’s players deserved support.
“We are all so preoccupied about protecting them, saying ‘you know, these men haven’t done anything wrong’. But we have to make a stand about calling out the culture,” she said.
Veness had always been proud of the Swans’ inclusive stance on Indigenous and LGBTQ issues.
“It’s been really upsetting and disheartening to see these men that you really trusted to be role models to do such a shameful, shameful thing.”
Childcare worker Lily Booth said that it would not surprise her if the behaviour for which five Swans players were banned was not unusual.
“This is their job, and if you can’t perform your job, then don’t do it,” she said. “I’m not getting paid nearly the amount of money these men are getting paid … I cannot go to work and act like this. I think it’s absolutely a cultural thing.”
Veness and Booth, players for their local Swans club, had planned to stay for the men’s game before the events of last week.
“Up the Swannies, go the girls,” echoed a chant among the protesters. Another woman turned to face the stadium and stuck her middle fingers up as she left.
Inside the SCG, the faces of Swans stars Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey or Chad Warner – three of the banned players – were nowhere to be seen among the sea of red and white.
Among the families enjoying only the women’s match were Phillip Bredin, his wife Mary, and their children, Miles and Masie. Phillip said they were not thinking about the suspended men’s “really grotty behaviour”.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.brisbanetimes.com.au — the content belongs to Brisbane Times.