Wednesday 19 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Meet Natalie Harp, the aide so close to Trump she once rode in an SUV boot to accompany him ‘Deeply sorry to everyone involved’: Suspended Swans speak out for first time Burnham pledges to get thousands of rough sleepers off streets for Christmas – UK politics live ‘No need to add more pressure’: Selective school offers out as gender quotas take effect Why gun debate has triggered a surprising and fiery political battle in NSW Tragedy as Australian national dies in Vietnam, DFAT offering consular support to family Labour ‘could lose up to 50 seats’ to Greens if new drilling in North Sea approved Fresh Ukraine corruption probe adds to pressure on Zelenskyy ahead of key vote – Europe live Democrat Mary Peltola and Republican Dan Sullivan lead in Alaska primary for US Senate – US politics live World in pictures, August 19, 2026 Meet Natalie Harp, the aide so close to Trump she once rode in an SUV boot to accompany him ‘Deeply sorry to everyone involved’: Suspended Swans speak out for first time Burnham pledges to get thousands of rough sleepers off streets for Christmas – UK politics live ‘No need to add more pressure’: Selective school offers out as gender quotas take effect Why gun debate has triggered a surprising and fiery political battle in NSW Tragedy as Australian national dies in Vietnam, DFAT offering consular support to family Labour ‘could lose up to 50 seats’ to Greens if new drilling in North Sea approved Fresh Ukraine corruption probe adds to pressure on Zelenskyy ahead of key vote – Europe live Democrat Mary Peltola and Republican Dan Sullivan lead in Alaska primary for US Senate – US politics live World in pictures, August 19, 2026
Australian News

Sydney Swans players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon & Chad Warner release joint statement

PerthNow ·
Sydney Swans players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon & Chad Warner release joint statement

The five Sydney Swans players who have been suspended for the rest of the AFL season amid a police investigation into an alleged sexual assault have issued a joint statement.

Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice have issued an apology after they were stood down by their club.

The club made the decision earlier on Wednesday, a decision the Swans say was made separate to the continuing Victoria Police investigation.

Police spoke to four of the group following the alleged assault in the early hours of Monday morning at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel, where Sydney were staying after their win over Essendon on Sunday evening. There have been no arrests, charges or formal interviews.

This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with inquiries.

“We are deeply sorry to everyone involved. We know that our behaviour has fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club,” the players’ statement read.

“We know we have let down our partners and families, members, supporters, teammates, the AFLW team, corporate partners and everyone at the club and in the wider community.

“We accept the club sanction and apologise for the impact this has had on those involved.

“Our focus will now be on rebuilding trust with the club and the community.”

It comes after Swans chair Andrew Pridham and chief executive Matthew Pavlich issued a public apology and admitted they were “deeply embarrassed and ashamed” earlier on Wednesday, with the club having revealed the sanctions earlier in the day.

Pridham said the players regretted their behaviour in the hours following the club’s win over Essendon on Sunday night into Monday morning and apologised to everyone involved.

“They’re extremely remorseful for their actions and having breached the club’s standards,” he said.

“I want to offer an apology, a sincere apology. Our thoughts go out to everybody who’s been impacted by these events, and we know it’s impacted many people, ranging from the partners of our staff, our players, our women’s program, our men’s program.

“There’s deep disappointment within the club at what has occurred. We know that many people are hurting.”

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

This story in other outlets

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›