Hit team captured surveilling gang boss’s house hours before attempted murder
The hit team responsible for gunning down crime boss Fadi Haddara surveilled his Altona North home for an hour before the execution attempt in his driveway on Sunday night, police say.
The 48-year-old remains in a critical condition in hospital with several bullets still lodged in his body. He has not regained consciousness.
With the investigation into the brazen murder attempt in its second day, police are calling on the public to help identify a vehicle of interest in the shooting.
A white Holden Commodore with a rear spoiler was captured on CCTV repeatedly driving past Haddara’s family home on Marigold Avenue, in Melbourne’s west, hours before a gunman opened fire.
Police say whoever was in the car had been keeping a close eye on the home, driving past it several times between 4.48pm and 5.45pm on Sunday afternoon. They also said it was “at times parked in the vicinity for an extended period”.
Less than three hours later, Haddara was found lying in a pool of his own blood on the ground next to his black BMW. Residents reported hearing loud bangs before emergency services descended on the property.
“Police are keen to speak to anyone who can identity the vehicle and its owner or occupants,” police said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.
“Detectives are also urging anyone with dashcam footage who was travelling through the Marigold Avenue area on Sunday afternoon and evening to contact police.”
Haddara remains in Royal Melbourne Hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to a friend of the family, who said the crime boss had recently undergone an MRI.
The friend told this masthead that Haddara had been shot in the neck – not the face, as originally believed – and the bullet had “ricocheted through to his cheek”.
Surrounded by family in hospital, the crime boss will soon undergo surgery to remove three bullets still lodged in his body, including two in his shoulders.
Although he is breathing normally and is in a stable condition, the friend said Haddara’s life would probably be permanently altered by the attack.
“There is still a big feeling of surprise,” he said. “He hasn’t done anything in the last couple of years. His family is clearly distressed, including his children.
Haddara was accused of holding a commanding position over the illicit tobacco trade in Melbourne – which he has always denied – but was allegedly squeezed out by a new gangland boss, Kazem “Kaz” Hamad, in early 2024.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.brisbanetimes.com.au — the content belongs to Brisbane Times.