Monday 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Two Churchie families battle with $1000 bids to secure $3.3 million East Brisbane home Janelle Halil’s easy lemon meringue pie with ‘Lazy Girl’ lemon curd Johns described this Broncos effort as 'absolutely disgusting' Peter paid $2.1m for a Sydney substation. A council error has cost him $800,000 Spruiker or the best coach? Essendon’s coaching decision looms Ukraine launches one of its largest aerial attacks of its war with Russia Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ continues evidence in alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial Joey scorches 'absolutely disgusting' Broncos effort Asia shares mark time as Gulf war keeps oil prices up Liberal’s new Tasmania senator Chris Gatenby sworn in Two Churchie families battle with $1000 bids to secure $3.3 million East Brisbane home Janelle Halil’s easy lemon meringue pie with ‘Lazy Girl’ lemon curd Johns described this Broncos effort as 'absolutely disgusting' Peter paid $2.1m for a Sydney substation. A council error has cost him $800,000 Spruiker or the best coach? Essendon’s coaching decision looms Ukraine launches one of its largest aerial attacks of its war with Russia Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ continues evidence in alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial Joey scorches 'absolutely disgusting' Broncos effort Asia shares mark time as Gulf war keeps oil prices up Liberal’s new Tasmania senator Chris Gatenby sworn in
Latest

Trump scales back joint military drills with South Korea, calling them 'hostile'

ABC News Australia - Top Stories ·
Trump scales back joint military drills with South Korea, calling them 'hostile'

US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the nation had declined to help denuclearise Iran.

He said the exercises slated to begin this week were costly and sent a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea.

South Korea's defence ministry said the exercises would proceed as scheduled.

US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea, saying it declined to help denuclearise Iran and citing his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Mr Trump said in a social media post on Sunday, local time, that the exercises slated to begin this week were costly and sent a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea, which he said had been "unthreatening and respectful" while he had been in the White House.

"Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!" Mr Trump wrote.

Mr Trump added that he recently asked South Korea's president to join the US in its efforts to denuclearise Iran, "and they said, 'No thanks!'"

When asked about the post, South Korea's defence ministry said the exercises would proceed as scheduled.

"We will proceed as previously notified and scheduled," a ministry spokesperson said in a brief statement.

The 11-day exercises, involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers, were designed to boost readiness against North Korean threats.

North Korea on Friday threatened unspecified stern steps against the US and South Korea, describing their military drills as "a rehearsal for an aggressive war" and accusing them of triggering greater instability in the region.

The warning was typical of the harsh rhetoric North Korea often deploys ahead of major US-South Korean military exercises.

Experts say North Korea has often used its rivals' drills as a pretext to ramp up testing activities to expand its weapons arsenals and promote public support for the reclusive North Korean leader.

US and South Korean forces were expected to practise joint operations in complex scenarios, including a live-fire exercise to test joint precision targeting and manoeuvring, a wet gap crossing, and distribution of pre-positioned military equipment, according to the US military.

Read the full article on ABC News Australia - Top Stories ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.abc.net.au — the content belongs to ABC News Australia - Top Stories.

This story in other outlets

More from ABC News Australia - Top Stories

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›