Trump says no Iran talks planned, shares map showing Hormuz as 'new US territory'
United States President Donald Trump has said no talks with Iran are underway and none are scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new US territory.
Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the crucial energy waterway as the nearly six-month-old Iran war grinds on with little sign of resolution.
Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner had said on Monday that the US and Iran were having "very positive and active conversations", but the president denied that was the case.
"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect," Trump wrote on his Truth Social network on Tuesday night.
"The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated."
Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.
US sources told the Agence-France Presse news agency there had been "positive" discussions with the Iranians, but added that Trump had decided to wait and asked his team not to engage until Iran was ready to make a deal.
In recent weeks, there has been a lull in fighting, though the United Arab Emirates has recently accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles — which landed at sea — targeting "maritime navigation." Iran, however, denied firing a missile toward the UAE.
Soon after, the UAE announced that "in light of regional escalations" it was halting all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran.
The UAE bore the brunt of Iranian missile and drone attacks in the first period of the war, but had not reported any attacks since the US and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding in June that was meant to halt the fighting.
Earlier on Tuesday, Trump posted a map on Truth Social showing the Strait of Hormuz as a "NEW U.S. Territory".
Iran has effectively shut down the chokepoint , through which a fifth of the world's oil would usually transit, in retaliation for the war launched by the US and Israel in late February.
Trump revisited the idea again earlier in the week in comments to reporters in the Oval Office.
This is not the first time that Trump, faced with a foreign policy obstacle, has threatened to annex foreign territory.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sbs.com.au — the content belongs to SBS News - Latest.