Saturday 22 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Andrew Hastie is effective in attacking One Nation, unlike his Liberal colleagues. So why won’t they use him? | Tom McIlroy Political stitch up or compromise? The tale of two political deals – Back to Back Barries podcast England beat Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs: first men’s cricket Test, day three – live reaction Wall Street rebounds despite US bond yield surge Gun stash discovered in German forest believed to be linked to Russia, say reports ‘Shouldn’t be renamed at all’: senator attacks Navy’s reported consideration of honoring Trump instead of Black war hero – live Durham v Derby, Notts v Surrey, and more: county cricket, day two – live Labour stalling on Jackdaw and Rosebank because ‘heart’s not really in it’, says Badenoch – UK politics live Arsenal complete £51m Konsa deal; Paredes gets 10-match ban for part in World Cup brawl: football – live Hunting for the hundreds of rumoured ghosts of the Dunbar shipwreck in Sydney’s Camperdown Park Andrew Hastie is effective in attacking One Nation, unlike his Liberal colleagues. So why won’t they use him? | Tom McIlroy Political stitch up or compromise? The tale of two political deals – Back to Back Barries podcast England beat Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs: first men’s cricket Test, day three – live reaction Wall Street rebounds despite US bond yield surge Gun stash discovered in German forest believed to be linked to Russia, say reports ‘Shouldn’t be renamed at all’: senator attacks Navy’s reported consideration of honoring Trump instead of Black war hero – live Durham v Derby, Notts v Surrey, and more: county cricket, day two – live Labour stalling on Jackdaw and Rosebank because ‘heart’s not really in it’, says Badenoch – UK politics live Arsenal complete £51m Konsa deal; Paredes gets 10-match ban for part in World Cup brawl: football – live Hunting for the hundreds of rumoured ghosts of the Dunbar shipwreck in Sydney’s Camperdown Park
Australian News

Harry, others face million pound bill over lost lawsuit

PerthNow ·
Harry, others face million pound bill over lost lawsuit

Prince Harry, Elton John and other high-profile claimants face paying millions of dollars out of their own pockets to cover the legal costs of the Daily Mail's publisher after a judge ruled their failed privacy lawsuits were conducted in an unreasonable way.

Judge Matthew Nicklin's judgment on costs, which was published on Friday, also ordered an interim payment from the claimants of 9.54 million pounds ($A18.26 million) towards the legal costs of Associated Newspapers.

Last month, judge Matthew Nicklin comprehensively rejected the case brought by King Charles' younger son, John and five other figures, rejecting allegations that the Mail titles had engaged in widespread unlawful activities such as phone hacking.

Friday's judgment delivered a damaging blow to Harry and the others by ruling that the outstanding amount should be paid on an "indemnity basis".

This means that as the losing party the prince and the others must pay towards Associated's costs without the publisher needing to show these were reasonable and proportionate.

Explaining his decision, Nicklin was highly critical of the way the claimants' case had been put, including that serious allegations had rested on "speculative and inferential" foundations.

"In my judgment, the cumulative effect of these matters takes the case well outside the norm. The conduct was unreasonable to a high degree," Nicklin said.

A spokesperson for Harry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A spokesman for Associated Newspapers called the ruling "another overwhelming victory for the Mail and its journalism".

The court was told at a hearing in July that Associated had incurred a legal bill of 34.5 million pounds while Harry and other claimants only had an insurance policy which covered 16 million pounds.

Associated's lawyer Antony White argued the claimants had made wide-ranging and serious "egregious" allegations without supporting evidence which had added to their costs.

He also said Harry's statement following the ruling was an abuse of his position and celebrity status.

Nicholas Bacon, the lawyer for the claimants, said in their submissions that Associated's 34.5 million pound legal bill was "eye-watering," far exceeding an agreed budget.

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›