Tuesday 18 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
British PM Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Trump’s chief of staff ‘The message Nathan would always give me’: How Cleary planted seeds for Dolphins Australia news LIVE: Labor to launch ‘opt-out’ register for gambling ads; Trump threatens to bomb Oman as US-Iran war agreement expires Labor prepared to fast-track fix to negative gearing 'widow tax' Shocking number of weapons seized from WA classrooms revealed Australia politics live: independent Sophie Scamps delivers scathing criticism of ‘weak, piecemeal, pathetic’ gambling reforms as deal looms The Kiss Wallabies 'flex': don't call it an experiment Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ returns for further cross-examination as alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial continues Trump asked about relationship with Natalie Harp Trump says Kim Jong-un has responded to his overtures when asked about scaling back US drills with South Korea – live British PM Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Trump’s chief of staff ‘The message Nathan would always give me’: How Cleary planted seeds for Dolphins Australia news LIVE: Labor to launch ‘opt-out’ register for gambling ads; Trump threatens to bomb Oman as US-Iran war agreement expires Labor prepared to fast-track fix to negative gearing 'widow tax' Shocking number of weapons seized from WA classrooms revealed Australia politics live: independent Sophie Scamps delivers scathing criticism of ‘weak, piecemeal, pathetic’ gambling reforms as deal looms The Kiss Wallabies 'flex': don't call it an experiment Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ returns for further cross-examination as alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial continues Trump asked about relationship with Natalie Harp Trump says Kim Jong-un has responded to his overtures when asked about scaling back US drills with South Korea – live
Latest

Maroons cop double blow in search for new coach as Cameron Smith and Kevin Walters pull out of race

7NEWS Australia ·
Maroons cop double blow in search for new coach as Cameron Smith and Kevin Walters pull out of race

Billy Slater’s old pair of assistants in Matt Ballin and Ben Te’o loom as the two leading candidates to take over as Queensland coach, after Cameron Smith and Kevin Walters ruled themselves out of the race.

In a seismic Monday night for Maroons State of Origin officials, Smith first pulled out of the running.

The champion hooker had been the early frontrunner to replace Slater, who had publicly backed him to do a “fantastic job” if handed the job.

Queensland captain Cameron Munster and Wayne Bennett had also endorsed Smith as the man to take over, before the 43-year-old ruled himself out of the role.

But a little over 24 hours later, the state’s most-capped player said it was not the time for him to take on a head-coaching role at the Maroons.

“I’ve heard comments from Wayne Bennett (endorsing me) and I really appreciate the sentiments, but it’s not the role for me at this current time,” Smith said on Nine’s 100% Footy.

“I was lucky enough to be involved in the camp with the players and Billy when he started in 2022 and ‘23 and thoroughly enjoyed my time.

“But there was a reason I stepped away after 2023. I couldn’t fully commit to the role and at the time that was an assistant coach, not head coach.

There had also been conjecture that Walters could stand down from his post as Australia’s Test coach after the World Cup and return to the Maroons.

Walters coached Queensland to two series wins during his stint in charge between 2016 and 2019 and would have had arguably the best resume of all candidates.

But he too confirmed to News Corp on Monday night he would not be taking on the Maroons job, vowing to honour his two-year deal as Kangaroos coach.

That leaves Queensland officials with a search for Slater’s replacement.

Ballin now shapes as a likely frontrunner, having served as Slater’s assistant since 2023.

The 42-year-old played an Origin for the Maroons in 2010 and was a leading option for the full-time job at Manly this year before Kieran Foran’s hot start.

Read the full article on 7NEWS Australia ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on 7news.com.au — the content belongs to 7NEWS Australia.

This story in other outlets

More from 7NEWS Australia

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›