Monday 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
He lived like a man with nothing to fear. His shooting has left even the underworld shocked Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable as he faces court What’s on voters’ minds as the first votes are cast in the battle for Secret Harbour? When should you access your super? Battle lines are being drawn Wards were over capacity when patient took her life, inquest told ‘Historic milestone’: Third strike called off as teachers back pay deal Australian politics live: Tehan booted from question time after telling Bowen to ‘cut the crap’ on renewable scheme Gangland boss fighting for life after shooting Alan Jones trial as it happened: ‘Complainant C’ grilled over ‘flirtatious messages’ to Jones in cross-examination Actress Hayden Panettiere dies aged 36 He lived like a man with nothing to fear. His shooting has left even the underworld shocked Convicted rapist Ralph Carr unrecognisable as he faces court What’s on voters’ minds as the first votes are cast in the battle for Secret Harbour? When should you access your super? Battle lines are being drawn Wards were over capacity when patient took her life, inquest told ‘Historic milestone’: Third strike called off as teachers back pay deal Australian politics live: Tehan booted from question time after telling Bowen to ‘cut the crap’ on renewable scheme Gangland boss fighting for life after shooting Alan Jones trial as it happened: ‘Complainant C’ grilled over ‘flirtatious messages’ to Jones in cross-examination Actress Hayden Panettiere dies aged 36
Latest

National gun buyback push stalls as another state resists participation

SBS News - Latest ·
National gun buyback push stalls as another state resists participation

South Australia has refused to join a planned national gun buyback, warning it will not spend state funds on a scheme it says should be paid for entirely by Canberra.

South Australian Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis says the state is not interested in signing up to a model that relies on state co‑funding rather than being fully funded by the Commonwealth.

South Australia cannot divert money from essential services and cost‑of‑living priorities into a program driven by federal politics, he said.

"We think we've got the balance right here in South Australia, but if the Commonwealth government want to embark on a buyback scheme under the same process that John Howard did, they're more than welcome to," Koutsantonis told ABC radio.

"The John Howard buyback was fully funded by the Commonwealth government, so they funded it in its entirety."

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

Koutsantonis said all states faced broader funding pressures to keep up with demand for health, disability and other frontline services.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and NSW Premier Chris Minns announced details of the state's buyback, which is due to begin in November.

NSW is currently the only jurisdiction participating in the national scheme, which was promised after last December's Bondi terror attack in which 15 people were killed.

Conservative governments in Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory have also declined to sign up to the buyback.

Western Australia has already run its own gun buyback and has no plans for a second scheme linked to the Bondi attack.

In Victoria, former premier Jacinta Allan had previously baulked at joining the national buyback, denting Canberra's hopes of broad state participation.

Her resignation and replacement by Ben Carroll has created uncertainty ahead of the 28 November election as the new premier weighs how far to go on firearms.

The stand-off has revived comparisons with former Liberal prime minister Howard's 1996 post‑Port Arthur buyback, funded entirely by the Commonwealth through a temporary Medicare levy.

Read the full article on SBS News - Latest ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sbs.com.au — the content belongs to SBS News - Latest.

More from SBS News - Latest

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›