David Warner learns fate over Easter long weekend drink driving charge
David Warner failed to avoid a conviction for mid-range drink driving at Waverley Local Court in Sydney's east on Tuesday.
The 39-year-old recorded a blood-alcohol reading of 0.104 while stopping short of a random breath testing site on Easter long weekend.
Judge Clare Farnan fined him $1,500 and ordered an interlock device on his car for 12 months.
Former Australian Test cricketer David Warner has been convicted and fined $1,500 for mid-range drink driving.
The 39-year-old stopped his car before reaching a random breath test site in Maroubra, in Sydney's east, during this year's Easter long weekend.
Police said he returned a positive result, with a secondary reading later recording a result of 0.104.
Barrister Awais Ahmad on Tuesday told Waverley Local Court Warner had been at a social function and getting behind the wheel afterwards pointed to "impaired, impulsive and frankly foolish decision-making".
He said his client ought to have known that his conduct would attract media attention, that he is a role model and that even a short drive could have had devastating impacts.
But Mr Ahmad submitted that Warner had taken responsibility and completed a traffic offenders' program.
He urged Judge Clare Farnan not to impose a conviction, pointing to the fact that it was Warner's "first foray" into the criminal justice system after excelling in many aspects of his life.
The court was told a conviction would have a negative impact on his future career prospects and commercial opportunities.
"That commercial impact is real and something he will need to deal with," Mr Ahmad said.
Mr Ahmad handed up material to demonstrate significant media coverage of the case, from BBC to Al Jazeera to mainstream media in Australia, and said some of it had been unfair and descended into personal attacks on Warner and his partner.
And he said there could be little doubt that coverage would continue on the day of the sentence.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.abc.net.au — the content belongs to ABC News Australia - Top Stories.