Donald Trump threatens to ‘bomb the s*** out of’ Oman over Strait of Hormuz tensions
Donald Trump has made threats to attack an allied country as the America ’s war with Iran drags on.
Speaking with Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst on Monday local time, Trump threatened to attack Oman if they interfered with US efforts to take control of the Strait of Hormuz.
Oman, a US ally, borders the United Arab Emirates, Yemen and Saudi Arabia, and sits near the Strait of Hormuz.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s*** out of them,” the US president said in the phone interview.
Speaking with reporters in the Oval Office later the same day, Trump again criticised Omanian officials over their ongoing talks with Iran regarding shipping through the strait.
“I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things,” he said.
Trump had previously threatened Oman at a meeting in May, saying “Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we’ll have to blow ‘em up”, according to CNN.
Monday marked the end of a 60-day memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran, which the two countries agreed to in June to negotiate an end to the war and reach an agreement on Iran’s nuclear program.
The US president had only last week talked of plans to declare the strait of Hormuz a US territory.
On Monday, Trump was asked to elaborate on his words and said that the US already has “total control over the strait”.
The White House has yet to comment on Trump’s threats against Oman, according to NBC .
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on 7news.com.au — the content belongs to 7NEWS Australia.