Sydney Swans confirm player punishments following interviews with all players involved
Sydney players will be punished for serious breaches of club behavioural standards, separate to the police investigation into sexual assault allegations which has engulfed the AFL club.
The Swans have announced their board was meeting on Tuesday night to decide penalties.
Given the seriousness of what is said to have happened early on Monday morning , and the strong wording of the clubs statement on Tuesday night, suspensions appear inevitable.
“Sydney can confirm that the club board will meet tonight to agree on player sanctions and penalties, now that the club has concluded its interviews with all the players involved in the incident in Melbourne,” the Swans said.
“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and any actions we take are independent of this.
“The club believes the players are in serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards, and it is appropriate to take firm action and highlight that any sanction we impose relates solely to those breaches.
“The club also acknowledges that these serious allegations impact others and their wellbeing must be paramount. The Swans condemn all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women.”
Veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson said the players had been grilled by club officials and there were suggestions a club rule had been broken.
“Sydney have to make a big statement here,” Wilson said on Channel 7’s The Agenda Setters.
“Now there has been a suggestion from the supporters of some of the players involved that they would accept a two-game suspension, which means they would miss the qualifying final and Round 24 ... I don’t think it is (enough).
“And this has got nothing to do with an alleged sexual assault, which may or may not be proven. I honestly believe that this has exposed a cultural issue at the Sydney Football Club.
“Now, was Sydney aware of this? Were they aware of the depth of it? And is this an endemic example of what is going on with that culture? And if that is proven, then I think the club needs to achieve a major correction here.
“They need to make a big statement ... and just draw a line in the sand, and say this behavior is not acceptable. I’m talking about going out and drinking.
“The allegations that two women were brought back to the hotel room, a hotel room, after 4o’clock in the morning ... to me, that is just not the sort of behavior that can be accepted by a football club.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on 7news.com.au — the content belongs to 7NEWS Australia.