Melbourne Storm superstar Cameron Munster addresses future amid links to PNG Chiefs
Melbourne star Cameron Munster will sit down with Storm bosses to discuss the club’s long-term coaching plans as he weighs up whether to see out his career as a one-club player.
As Melbourne stare down the first season in more than a decade where they will not feature in the NRL finals, Storm coach Craig Bellamy has declared he will remain in charge for 2027, despite publicly disclosing his battle with a “neurodegenerative disorder” earlier this year.
Assistants Ryan Hinchcliffe and Aaron Bellamy - Craig’s son - have both been linked to replacing the supercoach, who is contracted until the end of 2028.
And despite standing down as Queensland coach last week, Storm great Billy Slater has consistently claimed the grind of day-to-day NRL coaching doesn’t appeal to him.
Munster is off contract at the end of next season and was recently given permission by Melbourne to speak with the PNG Chiefs ahead of their entry into the NRL in 2028.
“That (the Storm’s coaching plans) is something that I need to obviously speak to the club about and my management,” Munster said ahead of Thursday’s clash with Penrith.
“That’s all well and good and whoever’s going to be the coach (after Bellamy), I know ‘Bellyache’ is the coach next year.
“We’re very lucky to have him for another year, whether that’s further beyond that, I’m not too sure what he decides or the club.
“I know full well that I’ll be here next year with him, and I’m looking forward to having a better year than it was this year.”
Munster made his debut for the Storm in 2014 and has played in six grand finals, winning two premierships (2017, 2020).
The five-eighth turns 32 in September, meaning his next contract is likely to be his last on top dollar.
“Obviously the coach does play a part, and the coach has got to want me here as well,” Munster said on Monday.
“We’ve got some good young kids coming through our grades and our pathways.
“I love the club, I have so much respect and love for it. They’re the club that gave me my first chance and I’m about giving back to that.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on 7news.com.au — the content belongs to 7NEWS Australia.