Tuesday 18 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Australia politics live: Butler confident NDIS bill will pass Senate tonight after deal with Coalition Booze delivery restricted under domestic violence plan Ban extended, opt-out scheme developed in gambling laws In pictures: Top Perth athletes get a look behind the scenes of Nine’s CBD headquarters Wests Tigers have had the season from hell. It’s about to get even worse Commonwealth accuses chemical giant of hiding health impacts of PFAS Save up to $1000 when you pre-order the latest Google Pixel 11 devices Cricket star David Warner tried to switch seats before random breath test Bendigo Bank hit with new conditions over ‘longstanding’ management weaknesses Coalition MPs cross floor over ‘weak’ gambling crackdown as major parties strike deal Australia politics live: Butler confident NDIS bill will pass Senate tonight after deal with Coalition Booze delivery restricted under domestic violence plan Ban extended, opt-out scheme developed in gambling laws In pictures: Top Perth athletes get a look behind the scenes of Nine’s CBD headquarters Wests Tigers have had the season from hell. It’s about to get even worse Commonwealth accuses chemical giant of hiding health impacts of PFAS Save up to $1000 when you pre-order the latest Google Pixel 11 devices Cricket star David Warner tried to switch seats before random breath test Bendigo Bank hit with new conditions over ‘longstanding’ management weaknesses Coalition MPs cross floor over ‘weak’ gambling crackdown as major parties strike deal
Australian News

Richard Marles says he is ‘concerned’ by North Korea’s weapons program after Trump’s military scale-back

PerthNow ·
Richard Marles says he is ‘concerned’ by North Korea’s weapons program after Trump’s military scale-back

Australia remains “very concerned” by North Korea’s nuclear weapons program, Defence Minister Richard Marles has said after US President Donald Trump announced he would be scaling back military drills with South Korea.

Mr Trump announced the American move overnight, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.

“These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile,” he posted on social media.

He also lambasted South Korea for refusing to join his “denuclearisation” efforts in Iran.

Mr Marles said on Tuesday that “what the United States does is a matter for it, but, let me be clear about a couple of things”.

“Australia is very concerned about North Korea’s nuclear program, as well as its missile program,” he told a press conference with Japanese Defence Minister Koizumi Shinjiro.

In a nod to his Japanese colleague, Mr Marles not that he visited Tokyo just after a North Korean missile test last year.

“We’re seeing that activity happen frequently and we remain very concerned about it,” he said.

Mr Marles went on to call South Korea “a critically important country”, both for Australia bilaterally but in terms of broader three-way defence co-operation with Japan, adding that the countries “have a shared strategic alignment”.

“In the challenging world that we face, and there are many challenges, but North Korea is the author of quite a few of those challenges,” he said.

Originally published as ‘Very concerned’: Australia breaks with Donald Trump on North Korea

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›