Sunday, August 16, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇨🇦 CA ▾
BREAKING
Health

Democratic Republic of Congo's Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in its history

CBC Health ·
Democratic Republic of Congo's Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in its history

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, government data showed on Sunday, surpassing the toll from the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country's history.

The D.R.C.'s public health institute said in its latest report that confirmed cases had risen to ‌4,945, including 101 new cases detected in the previous 24 hours.

The outbreak, the country's 17th, was already the biggest in its history in terms of number of cases — a milestone reached in late July.

The latest government data shows that the total number of deaths has surpassed the 2,299 ​deaths recorded in Congo's 2018-2020 outbreak, which was previously the country's ​worst on record.

Three months after it was formally announced, the outbreak is now dwarfed only by West Africa's 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak ​in which 28,616 cases and 11,310 deaths were recorded across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, ⁠according to the World ⁠Health Organization.

It took nearly five months from the declaration of ‌that outbreak to hit 1,000 deaths, whereas Congo's current outbreak hit 2,000 deaths in less than three months.

It’ll take at least 6 months to contain Ebola outbreak in Congo: experts

The current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, which has no approved vaccines or treatments. The outbreak has gained momentum since it ⁠was declared on May 15, as weak health infrastructure, community resistance and instability hinder the effort to identify and respond to cases.

The proportion of people dying from the outbreak after a confirmed infection, known as the case fatality ‌ratio, has risen from about 20 per cent in early June to 46 per cent, according to government data, meaning nearly one in every two confirmed cases is now fatal.

Experts say the trend does not indicate the virus has become more lethal. Instead, it points to persistent shortcomings in surveillance, case detection and access to ​care.

Congo battles fastest-spreading Ebola outbreak on record as deaths top 2,000

"Normally, as an outbreak progresses, the case fatality ratio should fall as contact tracing improves and patients are identified and treated earlier," said Thomas ⁠Parisch, a public health specialist recently deployed to the Democratic Republic of Congo with Médecins Sans Frontières.

"Instead, we're still seeing ⁠many cases detected very late, when treatment is less likely to succeed, with many identified only after they ⁠die ⁠in the community."

A small number of ​experimental vaccines and therapies are being evaluated, while global health authorities assess whether existing Ebola treatments could offer protection. Evidence ​so far is limited to animal ⁠studies.

Read the full article on CBC Health ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.cbc.ca — the content belongs to CBC Health.

More from CBC Health

See all ›

More in Health

See all ›