Sunday, August 23, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇨🇦 CA ▾
BREAKING
School flag policy delay needed for more clarity, says Alberta premier Danielle Smith Blue Jays capitalize after Yankees’ Lombard Jr. fumbles routine grounder Nationals’ Young scales fence and makes ridiculous catch to turn two Canada’s Humana-Paredes, Wilkerson drop semifinal at Montreal beach volleyball event Man drowns in Abbotsford lake ‘We can’t run our businesses’: Canadian companies react to U.S. tariffs Canadian business leaders brace for lost deals after trade talks crumble, 50% U.S. tariffs take effect Trump hit by domestic backlash as Canada trade war threatens higher prices Humana-Paredes, Wilkerson fall in Montreal Elite16 semifinal, will play for bronze Man arrested after shooting in N.W.T. prompts shelter-in-place order School flag policy delay needed for more clarity, says Alberta premier Danielle Smith Blue Jays capitalize after Yankees’ Lombard Jr. fumbles routine grounder Nationals’ Young scales fence and makes ridiculous catch to turn two Canada’s Humana-Paredes, Wilkerson drop semifinal at Montreal beach volleyball event Man drowns in Abbotsford lake ‘We can’t run our businesses’: Canadian companies react to U.S. tariffs Canadian business leaders brace for lost deals after trade talks crumble, 50% U.S. tariffs take effect Trump hit by domestic backlash as Canada trade war threatens higher prices Humana-Paredes, Wilkerson fall in Montreal Elite16 semifinal, will play for bronze Man arrested after shooting in N.W.T. prompts shelter-in-place order
Politics

Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from

Global News Politics ·
Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from

The Conservative Party of Canada is urging the federal government to release the full details of the proposed U.S. deal that prompted Canada to walk away from trade negotiations.

Shuvaloy Majumdar, the party’s critic for Canada-U.S. relations, wrote to Dominic LeBlanc on Sunday asking for details while underscoring his party’s support in fighting for tariff-free trade.

“I am requesting that your government release the full details of the proposed deal from which you chose to walk away on Friday evening,” Majumdar wrote. “If there was a draft text of any agreement that both governments have seen, please release it. The U.S. administration has seen it. Your government has seen it. Canadians deserve to see it.”

Carney withdrew his negotiators late Friday after he said the U.S. “asked too much and offered too little,” but the exact details of what was offered remains limited.

During a news conference on Saturday, Carney there were several outstanding problems Canada had when talks stalled.

That included issues with the levels of auto tariffs, such as which vehicle types would be excluded from a deal, a last-minute addition of restrictions on Canada’s ability to strike free trade deals and efforts targeting French language and Quebec culture.

Some sources with knowledge of the talks that were held earlier this week told Global News discussions included lowering steel and aluminum duties to 25 per cent and auto tariffs to 15 per cent. Carney had also told premiers to prepare to return U.S. alcohol to store shelves, a sticking point for President Donald Trump. That won’t be happening now due to the suspension of trade talks.

But there are still many other elements not yet known, including what either side may have proposed in those final hours.

“They (Canadians) remain in the dark on the circumstances in which tariffs would have been lifted on many Canadian exports on which millions of jobs depend,” Majumdar said.

The MP for Calgary Heritage acknowledged the government did not provide details previously “so as not to tip its hand” to U.S. negotiators, but with talks stalled he said those concerns “no longer apply in this situation.”

He criticized Carney, saying the prime minister had made “roughly a half-dozen major concessions” before heading to the bargaining table.

“We are here to help and fight for a good result for Canadians,” Majumdar wrote. “But we expect the Prime Minister to be transparent and open with the Canadian people about what the President offered and/or threatened in these talks.”

Global News has reached out to the federal government for comment on the Conservatives’ call for details.

The federal government has seen broad support by politicians of all party lines since the decision was made to walk away. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre on Saturday expressed disappointment the U.S. had chosen to levy more tariffs.

Read the full article on Global News Politics ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on globalnews.ca — the content belongs to Global News Politics.

This story in other outlets

More from Global News Politics

See all ›

More in Politics

See all ›