Monday, 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇮🇳 IN ▾
BREAKING
30 lions and tigers leave notorious Argentine zoo; head to new sanctuaries Only nine such butterflies were found in US in 2022; 3 years later, over 1,300 were released Vijay Shekhar Sharma-controlled Resilient may sell 4.98% Paytm stake Congo's fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes country's worst with over 2,300 dead Watch: Vijay’s first 100 days as Tamil Nadu CM: What worked and what didn’t Gomathipuram residents seek high mast lamp Supreme Court orders restoration of AAP Gujarat's Facebook, Instagram accounts Myanmar confirms nearly 3,09,000 Rohingya in Bangladesh, says security issues delaying repatriation CM Revanth opens MCR TIMS Sanathnagar with focus on affordable, quality healthcare Jharkhand cancels all JSSC exams conducted since 2014 by outsourced agency 30 lions and tigers leave notorious Argentine zoo; head to new sanctuaries Only nine such butterflies were found in US in 2022; 3 years later, over 1,300 were released Vijay Shekhar Sharma-controlled Resilient may sell 4.98% Paytm stake Congo's fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes country's worst with over 2,300 dead Watch: Vijay’s first 100 days as Tamil Nadu CM: What worked and what didn’t Gomathipuram residents seek high mast lamp Supreme Court orders restoration of AAP Gujarat's Facebook, Instagram accounts Myanmar confirms nearly 3,09,000 Rohingya in Bangladesh, says security issues delaying repatriation CM Revanth opens MCR TIMS Sanathnagar with focus on affordable, quality healthcare Jharkhand cancels all JSSC exams conducted since 2014 by outsourced agency
India News

Hanur shoot-out: People’s Legal Forum seeks high-level probe

The Hindu - National ·
Hanur shoot-out: People’s Legal Forum seeks high-level probe

Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription

People’s Legal Forum has sought a high-level inquiry into the death of three persons in the shoot-out at Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanur taluk early on Saturday.

The forum director and advocate, Baburaj Palladan, pointed out that the victims were locals who used to enter the forests for their rights enshrined under the Forest Rights Act and Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) (PESA) Act.

Claiming that the Forest Department officials knew the deceased and their addresses for a long time, Mr. Baburaj questioned the immediate shifting of the dead bodies from the forest for post-mortem without giving intimation to the jurisdictional police.

“No spot mahazar had been carried out,” he claimed in a press statement while alleging that the guidelines of the Supreme Court and Human Rights Commission had not been complied with.

“There was no such grave situation to force the forest officials to shoot them to kill,” he said while stating that a high-level inquiry is required to bring the erring officials to book.

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.

Read the full article on The Hindu - National ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.

More from The Hindu - National

See all ›

More in India News

See all ›