West Asia war LIVE: Trump threatens to bomb Oman if they get in way of Hormuz deal
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
U .S. President Donald Trump said Sunday (August 16, 2026) he was pleased by the recent signing of a defence pact between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan .
Also read | Iran fires back at Trump’s threat to declare Hormuz a U.S. territory
“Very happy to see that Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan have recently, and finally, signed the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.
“It shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” he wrote, calling it a “BIG, BOLD, IMPORTANT FIRST STEP.”
The three-way agreement, signed August 7, comes amid a U.S.-Iran war that has extended violence to the region, including Iran-backed Houthi rebel attacks.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed over the weekend, data showed today, following attacks on tankers.
Five commodity vessels transited the strait on Saturday, with none registered for yesterday, shiptracking data from Kpler showed, versus 31 in the prior weekend.
Oil prices barely moved in early trade today as tanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz slowed over the weekend, with no peace deal in sight between the United States and Iran to end the conflict in West Asia.
Brent crude futures climbed 20 cents, or 0.2%, to $88.72 by 2350 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures slipped 5 cents to $82.35 a barrel.
Both contracts gained more than 5% last week following attacks on tankers operated by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company in the Hormuz strait and on a Saudi Aramco refinery.
U.S. President Donald Trump said yesterday he was pleased by the recent signing of a defence pact between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan.
“Very happy to see that Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan have recently, and finally, signed the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.
“It shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” he wrote, calling it a “BIG, BOLD, IMPORTANT FIRST STEP.”
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - International.