Friday, 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇮🇳 IN ▾
BREAKING
The Ba***ds of Bollywood season 2 in the works? Bilal Siddiqi reveals Netflix, Shah Rukh Khan-owned Red Chillies are in talks Auron Mein Kahan Dum Tha release funding row: Reliance Entertainment Studios enters insolvency process over Pen India’s Rs 11.94 crores claim EXCLUSIVE: Sunny Deol and Rajkumar Santoshi set to reunite after Batwara 1947, exploring Ghatak sequel Animal Park Update: Pranay Reddy Vanga reveals Sandeep Reddy Vanga will take 6-month break after Spirit before starting Ranbir Kapoor starrer In Pictures | Remembering Sowcar Janaki's remarkable journey in cinema ₹9 crore cash seized from car going from Bengaluru to Tamil Nadu SBI acquires 1.84 lakh sq ft building on Kharadi leasehold land for ₹414 cr Veteran actor ‘Sowcar’ Janaki passes away at 94 Telawne Power Equipments Expands Operational Footprint by 61,837 Sq. Ft. to Support Global Power Infrastructure Growth Zest Bespoke Catering Wins Platinum at the WeddingSutra Influencer Awards 2026 for Trendsetting Food Design The Ba***ds of Bollywood season 2 in the works? Bilal Siddiqi reveals Netflix, Shah Rukh Khan-owned Red Chillies are in talks Auron Mein Kahan Dum Tha release funding row: Reliance Entertainment Studios enters insolvency process over Pen India’s Rs 11.94 crores claim EXCLUSIVE: Sunny Deol and Rajkumar Santoshi set to reunite after Batwara 1947, exploring Ghatak sequel Animal Park Update: Pranay Reddy Vanga reveals Sandeep Reddy Vanga will take 6-month break after Spirit before starting Ranbir Kapoor starrer In Pictures | Remembering Sowcar Janaki's remarkable journey in cinema ₹9 crore cash seized from car going from Bengaluru to Tamil Nadu SBI acquires 1.84 lakh sq ft building on Kharadi leasehold land for ₹414 cr Veteran actor ‘Sowcar’ Janaki passes away at 94 Telawne Power Equipments Expands Operational Footprint by 61,837 Sq. Ft. to Support Global Power Infrastructure Growth Zest Bespoke Catering Wins Platinum at the WeddingSutra Influencer Awards 2026 for Trendsetting Food Design
India News

After junior doctors, contract, and paramedical staff: second stir grips Andhra’s health department

The Hindu - National ·
After junior doctors, contract, and paramedical staff: second stir grips Andhra’s health department

Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription

Contract and paramedical employees working across the State’s Health, Medical and Family Welfare Department launched the first phase of a graded agitation on Friday (August 21, 2026), with the Andhra Pradesh Medical and Health Contract Employees Joint Action Committee (JAC) alleging that the government had failed to even acknowledge their demands despite a large protest in Vijayawada on June 17.

G. Koteswara Rao, chairman of the JAC and a staff nurse at the King George Hospital (KGH), Visakhapatnam , told The Hindu that the government “did not address” the committee’s demands and had “not even recognised” that the problems existed, even after that protest. He appealed to Health Minister Satya Kumar Yadav and G. Veerapandian, Secretary, Health and Family Welfare, to intervene and resolve the issues.

In a representation addressed to senior officials, the JAC said staff nurses, laboratory technicians, pharmacy officers, ECG technicians, emergency medical technicians and dialysis technicians, among other contract and para-medical employees serving under the Directorates of Medical Education (DME), Public Health (DPH) and Secondary Health (DSH), had been working for several years without a resolution to their grievances.

The stir is to unfold in stages. Representations are being submitted to Government General Hospital superintendents, District Medical and Health Officers, District Coordinators of Hospital Services and District Collectors till August 27. Employees will wear black badges while on duty from August 24 to 27, followed by lunch-hour protests and human chains on August 28 and 29. A shutdown of online work, including Electronic Health Records and “ABHA” registrations at primary health centres, is planned from August 30 to September 1, a pen-down protest at DME and DSH offices from September 2 to 3, a State-wide dharna from September 6, and a duty boycott, described as the final step, from September 8, with prior notice to authorities and safeguards for emergency services.

The JAC’s charter of demands includes immediate regularisation of contract staff, full gross pay pending regularisation, an ex gratia of ₹50 lakh and employment for a family member in the event of death on duty, Employees’ Provident Fund coverage and paid medical leave, and transfer facilities for staff posted away from their families for years.

The stir comes even as junior doctors under the Andhra Pradesh Junior Doctors’ Association continue their stipend strike , now into its second week, seeking a 30% hike against the government’s offer of 3%, besides opposing the proposed increase in the retirement age of senior doctors to 65. Two cadres within the same department are now pressing overlapping grievances at the same time.

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles.

Read the full article on The Hindu - National ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.

More from The Hindu - National

See all ›

More in India News

See all ›