Thursday, 20 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇮🇳 IN ▾
BREAKING
Sonu Nigam reacts to impersonator case settlement; says, “Saste mein chhoot gaya bahut” Unauthorised structures outside Pakistan High Commission demolished in Delhi Don’t blame it on age or being out of shape: Heart surgeon lists 4 exercise warning signs you shouldn’t brush off Two doctors of Mumbai's Parsi community to receive Nishan-e-Imtiaz for keeping secret Jinnah's illness India tells UNSC not to use sanctions process for narrow politics Former Meta engineer says Instagram took a ’don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach on kids under 13 Ollie Robinson and Josh Tongue split match-ball after Pakistan rout ​Due diligence: On surrogate advertising Robinson happy to split the spoils after stellar Test return Three men held for possessing and transporting explosives in Belagavi district Sonu Nigam reacts to impersonator case settlement; says, “Saste mein chhoot gaya bahut” Unauthorised structures outside Pakistan High Commission demolished in Delhi Don’t blame it on age or being out of shape: Heart surgeon lists 4 exercise warning signs you shouldn’t brush off Two doctors of Mumbai's Parsi community to receive Nishan-e-Imtiaz for keeping secret Jinnah's illness India tells UNSC not to use sanctions process for narrow politics Former Meta engineer says Instagram took a ’don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach on kids under 13 Ollie Robinson and Josh Tongue split match-ball after Pakistan rout ​Due diligence: On surrogate advertising Robinson happy to split the spoils after stellar Test return Three men held for possessing and transporting explosives in Belagavi district
Latest

Mumbai Cybercrime police arrest two from Bihar, Jharkhand in ₹48.60 lakh Boss scam

The Hindu ·
Mumbai Cybercrime police arrest two from Bihar, Jharkhand in ₹48.60 lakh Boss scam

Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription

A case was registered on February 26, 2026, under Sections 338(3) and 319(2) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), read along with Sections 66(C) and 66(D) of the Information Technology Act. The accused were produced before the Girgaon magistrate court on August 19, where the court remanded them to police custody from August 20 till August 25.

Investigation revealed that the two accused allegedly had connections with eight people who were arrested earlier on July 25, 2026, and were involved in similar Boss/CEO scams in Mumbai and committed fraud of around ₹10.40 crore, of which ₹6 crore was retrieved by the police so far, Cybercrime branch Constable Pratap Jadhav said.

According to the police, other than two cases in Mumbai, there are one case each in Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, West Bengal, and Tamil Nadu, which are linked to the two accused, that are registered in the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal.

After the complaint was filed, the police investigated the fake CEO’s number and allegedly traced its SIM to the source in Rukundi Pur, Bihar, where they arrested Aamir Chand Mohammad Khan, a point of sale Airtel SIM vendor on August 14, 2026. That further led to arresting his accomplice, Suraj Kumar Pradeep Kumar Saw, also known as Vishal, from near Jamtara in Jharkhand on August 16, 2026, according to Assistant Police Inspector Ramdas Gopal.

According to Mr. Gopal, the SIM card used to scam the accountant belonged to a soldier in the Army, who had returned home in Bihar on a break from his duty somewhere in Telangana, and wanted to port his Jio SIM card to Airtel. “Khan asked him for his documents to do an e-KYC and set up the SIM. He activated the SIM but told the soldier that there was a problem with the system and it could not get processed, so it was not possible to activate the SIM. He then sent the SIM to his accomplice in Jharkhand to commit the Boss fraud against the accountant,” Mr. Gopal said. Khan had also illegally activated SIMs of other residents from Bihar using misused documents and E-KYC and allegedly sold 8 SIM cards to co-accused Vishal for ₹6,000 via UPI, according to the police.

The police have allegedly seized 161 SIM cards, a megaphone and a POCO phone with the ‘Airtel Mitra’ app to activate the SIM, from the accused.

The police have allegedly held the entire defrauded amount of ₹48.60 lakh and the investigation is ongoing.

The Securities Exchange Board of India had also issued a caution on July 17, 2026, alerting regulated entities and listed companies to be aware about the modus of the crime, and to not transfer funds based on instructions received on social media.

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments.

Read the full article on The Hindu ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu.

More from The Hindu

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›