Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
A health worker sprays a colleague with disinfectant after taking part in a burial service for 3-year-old Mave Mercienne, who died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, August 18, 2026. | Photo Credit: AP
The Ebola outbreak in Congo has reached 5,000 cases, government data showed on Wednesday (August 19, 2026), as responders warn it is spreading at an unprecedented speed outpacing efforts to slow it in one of the country’s remotest regions.
Data from Congo’s Ministry of Health showed the outbreak had so far recorded 5,021 cases, including 2,378 deaths as of Sunday (August 16, 2026), as it rages in some of the most challenging conditions imaginable fuelled by insecurity, displacement and intense population movements.
The outbreak has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other outbreak in history.
Starting from the first detected case, it has spread about three times faster than an outbreak from 2014 to 2016 across West Africa, which was the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.
The outbreak “has spread rapidly and the risk of further national and international spread remains high,” World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday (August 18, 2026) at a meeting convened by the agency.
“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” he said.
Safety concerns have limited the response as health workers are targeted, particularly in Ituri, the province that has been hit the worst by the outbreak.
Residents on Monday (August 17, 2026) attacked a health team in the territory of Aru after a suspected case was reported there. A mob set fire to an ambulance and damaged two other vehicles, according to Michael Wani, president of the Union of Cultural Associations for the Development of Ituri.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - Sci-Tech.