Two workers killed after under-construction seven-storey building collapses in Kondapur
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
The rubble of the seven-storey under-construction building after it collapsed in Gachibowli’s Anjaiah Nagar, Hyderabad on Saturday, August 22, 2026. | Photo Credit: RAMAKRISHNA G
Rescue operations being taken up after a multi-storey under-construction building collapsed in Gachibowli’s Anjaiah Nagar, Hyderabad on Saturday, August 22, 2026. | Photo Credit: RAMAKRISHNA G
Two construction workers were killed after a G+6 under-construction building collapsed at Anjayya Nagar in Kondapur on Saturday (August 22) afternoon, damaging an adjacent building and triggering a prolonged search and rescue operation. Raidurgam police booked a case against the owner and the contractor.
The deceased were identified as Umesh Karre, 34, and Mopat, 42, both natives of Madhya Pradesh. Their bodies were recovered from the rubble during the search operation.
“The structure collapsed during construction as a part of the building was on top of a nala. There are lapses in the procedure and the legalities of the project is under investigation. We have booked cases against the owner Syed Sajid and contractor Khaja Moinuddin,” said Raama Swamy, Sub-Inspector of Raidurgam police station.
The building collapsed around 1 p.m., with a portion of the structure falling onto an adjoining building. Fire and rescue personnel immediately mobilised specialised equipment and began searching the debris for trapped persons.
A Victim Location Camera was used during the operation to detect the presence of victims beneath the rubble, following which the two bodies were located and recovered.
The rescue operation was led by Regional Fire Officer Sudhakar Rao, along with District Fire Officers, Assistant District Fire Officers, Station Fire Officers and other fire and rescue personnel.
RFO Sudhakar Rao said that the collapsed structure impacted the adjoining building and focus was on the safety of residents of the affected blocks. “Residents were counselled and advised not to remain inside the buildings overnight as a precautionary measure,” said the officer.
Rao told residents that they would be allowed to reoccupy the affected building only after a structural stability assessment by the GHMC. The assessment is scheduled to be carried out on Sunday, after which the building will be cleared for occupation if it is found to be safe.
Officers from the Telangana Fire & Disaster Response Department engaged in combing duty at the collapsed site. | Photo Credit: By Arrangement
The fire department personnel said they were coordinating with the concerned authorities and other agencies at the site to ensure the safety of residents and complete the rescue and response operations.
Police said cases had been booked against the building owner and contractor, while the circumstances surrounding the construction, including alleged procedural lapses and the legal status of the project, were under investigation.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.