Around 300 gather in Delhi seeking reservation reforms; over 20 detained
Around 300 people gathered at Connaught Place's outer circle in Delhi on Sunday to protest against caste-based reservation and demand reforms in the quota system, with police detaining over 20 protesters from the site, officials said.
The protesters, who raised slogans and carried placards, called for greater emphasis on economic criteria in deciding eligibility for reservation and government support, arguing that assistance should reach economically disadvantaged people irrespective of caste.
Police said over 20 people gathered at Connaught Place were detained and removed from the site as no permission had been granted for the demonstration.
Police maintained a presence at Connaught Place as the gathering was cleared from the protest site.
A key demand raised during the demonstration was the introduction of a creamy-layer criterion and a review of the existing reservation framework.
Protesters also sought changes in policies concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.business-standard.com — the content belongs to Business Standard.