Section 22A: Committee to study issues of genuine owners of properties; toll free number 18005-994788 to register complaints
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
The issue had become a cause of concern for land owners as many of them are finding their properties listed under Section 22A, thereby prohibiting them from any transactions.
Telangana Revenue Minister Ponguleti Srinivas Reddy on Monday (August 17, 2026) has cautioned the department officials against causing hardships to people in the name of regularisation of lands/properties listed under Section 22A of the Registration Act.
The State Government has constituted a high level committee to resolve issues pertaining to genuine owners of properties that were wrongfully put in the prohibited list of lands. Section 22A of the Registration Act empowers the State Government to prohibit registration of specific documents and land transfers and sub-registrar’s can refuse any sale, gift or mortgage deed for properties listed under the prohibited list.
The issue had become a cause of concern for land owners as many of them are finding their properties listed under Section 22A, thereby prohibiting them from any transactions.
The Minister said a toll free number 18005-994788 had been set up enabling land/property owners to register their complaints. Medchal district reported highest number of 511 applications for regularisation of properties listed under Section 22A followed by 146 in Rangareddy, 49 in Hyderabad and 38 in Sangareddy district. In all, 757 applications for regularisation were received so far by the department.
The department had thereafter reviewed the situation arising out of high number of applications for regularisation and it was resolved to ensure that genuine properties were removed from the list at the earliest. “We are against inconveniencing genuine owners of private properties. A review of the ground situation has been made and necessary steps will be taken to address the hardship caused to people,” he said.
The Minister affirmed that there was no cause of concern and submission of an application to the officials concerned would suffice. The department had identified problems caused because of the mistakes committed by officials and these were being rectified. “The problem arose because of not hosting the court directives online,” he said.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.