Iran security chief warns neighbours against joining US economic pressure
Meanwhile, The top diplomats for Egypt and Iran discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to settle the war | Image: Bloomberg
The new leader of Iran's top security body is threatening neighbours against joining new US efforts to squeeze Tehran's economy.
Egypt is trying to revive Iran-US negotiations. And Iraq and Iran say Tehran has helped some ships carrying Iraqi oil to transit the Strait of Hormuz. France and Saudi Arabia are expected to discuss plans to bypass the waterway.
The hard-line new leader of Iran's Supreme National Security Council threatened Tehran's neighbours against joining the new US effort to hurt Iran's economy, and accused the United States of increasing global nuclear insecurity with months of war.
"If (Trump) wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner," he said in an interview with the state broadcaster that aired Saturday.
Mohsen Rezaei was named this month as part of senior appointments widely seen as hardening Tehran's political and military stance. His interview with IRIB is his most extensive public statement since then.
Rezaei said Iran would target oil-shipping routes out of the Persian Gulf -- alternatives to the Strait of Hormuz -- if neighbours join what he described as the economic war against Iran. Those neighbours would be considered enemies and "we will target their interests," he said.
US President Donald Trump in the past week has vowed to increase Iran's pain by imposing an "unprecedented" level of economic warfare and isolation. Iran has lived under sanctions for years.
Rezaei said discussions with Oman, located on the other side of the strait, over management of it were ongoing, and said fees would be imposed. Iran asserted control over what was seen as an international waterway shortly after the US and Israel attacked on February 28.
Rezaei also vowed to make changes to Iran's diplomacy and bring new capabilities to what he called the next war. He warned the US against sending more military personnel to the region, and said the US had increased nuclear insecurity because countries see that participating in international monitoring efforts, as Iran has done, is no protection against attack.
The top diplomats for Egypt and Iran discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to settle the war, Egypt's foreign ministry said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty also discussed the Iranian-Omani talks, the ministry said.
Araghchi briefed Egypt's foreign minister about "Iran's view of ongoing developments, the course of negotiations and their challenges," the ministry said, without elaborating. Araghchi confirmed the call. Separately, Araghchi said he had a call with Pakistan's army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir.
The governments of Iraq and Iran said Tehran has helped some ships carrying Iraqi oil to transit the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for global oil, natural gas and other supplies, but there were few details.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.business-standard.com — the content belongs to Business Standard.