Rahul Gandhi sits on dharna at police station in New Delhi, demands FIR over pellet gun use during July 20 protest
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
Rahul Gandhi with Sahil Lochab, one of the victims of the reported use of pellet guns during the July 20 protest, at a sit-in outside the Parliament Street Police Station on August 21, 2026. | Photo Credit: Sushil Kumar Verma
Leader of Opposition (LoP) in Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Friday (August 21, 2026) staged a dharna (sit-in) outside the Parliament Street Police Station in New Delhi, seeking the registration of an FIR over pellet injuries suffered by a youth during the July 20 Cockroach Janata Party -led protest over the NEET paper leak issue.
Mr. Gandhi is accompanied by Sahil Lochab, a 19-year-old protester who was hit by a pellet gun during police action. He suffered pellet injuries to the eyes and abdomen, and later underwent surgery at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.
The Delhi Police have so far barricaded the area and closed the police station gates as Congress party workers and supporters attempted to enter, raising slogans. Congress MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra also arrived at the station with party workers staging a dharna outside the gates.
“Sahil wants to file FIR, but that is not being allowed. If not Delhi Police, then who? We are only asking for justice for the family,” Mr. Gandhi said, speaking to media outside the police station.
आज साहिल लोचब के साथ, उनके साथ हुई पुलिस बर्बरता के खिलाफ FIR दर्ज कराने संसद मार्ग के DCP कार्यालय पहुँचा। 20 जुलाई को जंतर-मंतर पर शांतिपूर्ण प्रदर्शन कर रहे साहिल पर पुलिस ने पैलेट गन से हमला किया। छर्रों से बुरी तरह घायल साहिल की एक आँख की रौशनी खतरे में है। शांतिपूर्ण… pic.twitter.com/on2uKkNeUM
The Congress leader and Mr. Lochab first visited the Mandir Marg police station and sought the registration of the FIR. After the demand was not accepted, they went to the Parliament Street police station and met the deputy commissioner of police (DCP).
According to the Congress party, Mr. Lochab had approached the Delhi Police along with his lawyers on August 14 and submitted a written complaint. However, the police allegedly did not provide an I/O number or acknowledgement. The complaint was again pursued on August 17 through email and phone, but no I/O number or acknowledgement was provided, they said.
In line with this, Mr. Gandhi accompanied Mr. Lochab to the DCP office on Friday (August 21, 2026) to press for action and seek registration of the case. “The DCP is again not giving the case officer and I/O number.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.