‘Cannot accept what was offered’: Canadian PM Mark Carney on why US trade deal didn't work
Following the collapse of trade negotiations with the United States, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said the country could not accept US terms for a trade deal.
The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products early Saturday, after the countries failed to reach a trade deal despite President Donald Trump extending the August 18 midnight deadline by three days, allowing talks to continue. Canada has said it will impose retaliatory tariffs beginning September 8.
After the failure of last-ditch negotiations to resolve strains, Carney said, “We cannot accept what they've offered, and we will not give what they've asked.” The Canadian PM announced that Ottawa would slap retaliatory tariffs on steel and dairy products in response to US duties.
Carney revealed that Canada had been willing to drop remaining retaliatory tariffs on steel, aluminum and autos in return for Washington substantially lowering its own, and was prepared to encourage provinces to restore US alcohol sales, the Associated Press reported.
Follow the latest breaking news, major developments and agenda-setting stories from India and around the world with the newsdesk at Hindustan Times. Operating round the clock, the desk brings together experienced editors, reporters and correspondents to deliver fast, accurate and contextual reporting across subjects that influence public policy, governance, business, society and international affairs. The HT News Desk covers politics, elections, government policies, the economy, business and markets, science and technology, the environment, law and order, infrastructure, education, climate issues and geopolitics, while closely tracking developments across states, institutions and global capitals. The team also leads coverage of major breaking news events, policy announcements, court proceedings, natural disasters, public emergencies and significant international developments. Reports published by the newsdesk are based on information gathered from reporters on the ground, official statements, government agencies, court records, regulatory filings, recognised institutions and other authoritative sources. Stories undergo editorial scrutiny and verification processes to ensure accuracy, fairness and relevance, and are updated as events evolve and additional information becomes available. Whether covering a key political decision in New Delhi, an economic policy shift affecting millions, a landmark court ruling or a major global event, the HT News Desk aims to provide readers with reliable, fact-based journalism that delivers not only the latest developments but also the context and analysis needed to understand their wider implications. Read More
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.hindustantimes.com — the content belongs to Hindustan Times - World.