Wednesday, 19 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇮🇳 IN ▾
BREAKING
Kabul school blast wounds 42 children, revives fears in Hazara area Live: US weighs troop pullback from Gulf following damage in Iran war, report says AAP MLA detained for 10 hours amid sanitation worker’s cremation, Rs 10-lakh aid for family Why is PM CARES Fund keeping large sums idle, asks RTI activist BJP puts Vinod Tawde, who played role in Bihar win, in charge of UP MVD cracks down on illegal taxis, slaps penalty of ₹1.47 lakh in Keralam’s Kochi British student says he was denied entry to the US despite having valid visa only because he is Muslim: 'Felt as if I was kidnapped' Employment guarantee has slipped into limbo 8 days, 22 attacks: BLA claims 26 Pakistani personnel killed across Balochistan Goa moves SC, seeks life imprisonment for Tejpal for sex assault Kabul school blast wounds 42 children, revives fears in Hazara area Live: US weighs troop pullback from Gulf following damage in Iran war, report says AAP MLA detained for 10 hours amid sanitation worker’s cremation, Rs 10-lakh aid for family Why is PM CARES Fund keeping large sums idle, asks RTI activist BJP puts Vinod Tawde, who played role in Bihar win, in charge of UP MVD cracks down on illegal taxis, slaps penalty of ₹1.47 lakh in Keralam’s Kochi British student says he was denied entry to the US despite having valid visa only because he is Muslim: 'Felt as if I was kidnapped' Employment guarantee has slipped into limbo 8 days, 22 attacks: BLA claims 26 Pakistani personnel killed across Balochistan Goa moves SC, seeks life imprisonment for Tejpal for sex assault
Latest

Delhi HC allows JNU to continue admissions based on deprivation points

The Hindu ·
Delhi HC allows JNU to continue admissions based on deprivation points

Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription

A single-judge Bench had, on August 14, directed that admissions based on deprivation points not be finalised and that no further steps be taken until August 24. | Photo Credit: File Photo

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday allowed Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) to continue its postgraduate admission process, modifying an earlier order that had put admissions involving “deprivation points” on hold.

A Bench of Chief Justice D.K. Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia said JNU could proceed with admissions in accordance with its 2026-27 e-prospectus, but clarified that all admissions made under the disputed provisions would remain subject to the outcome of a petition pending before a single-judge Bench.

The single-judge Bench had, on August 14, directed that admissions based on deprivation points not be finalised and that no further steps be taken until August 24. The order followed a petition filed by Amit Mehra, who is seeking admission to a postgraduate course at JNU.

Deprivation points are additional marks awarded to applicants from certain geographically disadvantaged areas.

While hearing JNU’s appeal against the interim order, the court on Tuesday noted that the system of deprivation points has been in place since 1974 and that the single-judge Bench’s direction had effectively brought the university’s ongoing admission process to a halt.

It also pointed out that JNU had issued its e-prospectus for the 2026-27 academic session on April 3, with the admission process beginning on May 25. Classes for postgraduate students admitted in the first round of counselling had already commenced on July 30.

The court questioned the timing of the challenge, observing that the issue could have been raised before the admission process began. It also questioned the basis for stopping admissions without a prima facie finding that the system of deprivation points was illegal.

“Unless some prima facie finding is recorded that for this reason the practice of grant of deprivation points is illegal, how can admission process be stalled?” the Bench said.

The court accordingly directed JNU to proceed with admissions under the existing e-prospectus, including the provisions relating to deprivation points that are under challenge. However, it made clear that such admissions would be subject to the final outcome of the writ petition and directed the single-judge Bench to decide the petition at the earliest.

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.

Read the full article on The Hindu ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu.

More from The Hindu

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›