WATCH hundreds of migrants demand asylum in Spanish enclave
Thousands remain stranded in Ceuta following a massive influx from Morocco that has overwhelmed local authorities Hundreds of Moroccan migrants have protested in Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta, demanding asylum as thousands remain stranded in the area following mass border crossings last month.
The crisis erupted on July 30-31, when an estimated 72,000 migrants entered Ceuta from neighboring Morocco – equivalent to roughly 70% of the enclave’s population of around 84,000.
While most returned shortly afterward, an estimated 7,000 to 9,000 remain, straining reception centers, hospitals, and law enforcement.
The influx has triggered a bitter dispute over the migrants’ fate.
Ceuta Mayor-President Juan Jesus Vivas has called for asylum claims linked to the surge to be rejected and migrants returned to Morocco.
Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska backed the hardline approach last week, saying irregular arrivals would not be allowed to remain in Ceuta, reach mainland Spain, or obtain legal status, except in rare cases of extreme vulnerability.
Judicial associations have pushed back, insisting claims must be assessed individually and that illegal entry does not forfeit the right to seek asylum.
Amid the row, several hundred migrants staged a sit-in on a popular Ceuta beach on Sunday, urging the Spanish authorities not to return them to Morocco.
Footage shows protesters waving Spanish flags and banners while chanting: “We need asylum!” “We Moroccans are protesting without food or water, we will continue sitting here,” one protester told the Ruptly video agency.
Separate footage shows security forces detaining several migrants on the beach, though it is unclear if they were part of the protest.
Read more At least 15 rapes reported in Spain’s migrant-swarmed enclave – media The initial surge came shortly after Spain’s Supreme Court ruled that migrants intercepted at sea while trying to reach Ceuta or Melilla, another Spanish enclave, could not be immediately deported.
Spanish officials have accused trafficking networks of exploiting the ruling through viral social media posts falsely claiming the country’s borders were open.
Another wave of nearly 300 migrants attempted to enter Ceuta on Saturday but was stopped by Moroccan police, according to state broadcaster Medi 1 TV.
Another 61 Moroccans accused of facilitating the attempt were arrested, the broadcaster said.
5News собрал это резюме из публичной ленты источника. Полная статья со всеми подробностями находится на www.rt.com — права на контент принадлежат RT (Russia Today, oficial).