Moscow withdraws UK ambassador as tensions between Britain and Russia mount
Moscow has withdrawn its UK ambassador as relations between Britain and Russia continue to deteriorate amid Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine .
Former Russian ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin left his post on July 21, having been in the role for over seven years.
According to The Times , Russia is yet to submit another candidate to the Foreign Office and there is reportedly no indication of when a replacement may be appointed.
The Russian embassy in London denied Russia intends to downgrade diplomatic relations between Moscow and Britain, but said ties have “deteriorated to an unprecedentedly low level entirely on London's initiative”.
A spokesman for the Russian embassy told The Times that the former ambassador had made “considerable efforts to preserve contacts and channels of communication” with the UK but accused the government of choosing a “path of confrontation” with Russia.
“He left Britain in the hope that a more constructive and respectful dialogue could eventually be restored, should the UK reconsider its policies towards our country,” the spokesman said.
A FCDO spokesperson said: “This is a matter for the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
“We have an Ambassador and Embassy in Moscow to engage and raise concerns with the Russian government.
“We continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine, which has the right to defend itself against Russia’s illegal and unprovoked invasion.”
It comes as relations between the Kremlin and Downing Street continue to suffer, amid Putin’s ongoing war on Ukraine.
Last week, Russia’s embassy to the UK said reports that Ukrainian forces had used unmanned aircraft manufactured by two UK companies “confirm that London is deliberately opting for an escalation of the Ukraine crisis”.
It accused Britain of “seeking to contain Russia and inflict maximum damage on it by proxy” and warned that the deeper its involvement becomes, “the higher the price it will pay”.
“London’s actions will inevitably carry consequences for which it will have to answer,” it said.
But prime minister Andy Burnham hit back, saying Britain would not be deterred by the threats.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.independent.co.uk — the content belongs to The Independent UK News.