Thursday, 20 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
UK News

Prince Harry and Meghan's extraordinary UK return after Duke deemed UK 'too dangerous'

The Mirror UK News ·
Prince Harry and Meghan's extraordinary UK return after Duke deemed UK 'too dangerous'

Prince Harry and Meghan’s return to the UK is the latest extraordinary bombshell dropped by the Sussexes since they dramatically quit as working royals.

Just six years ago, they headed to California after the dual life they wanted - earning their money in the US at the same time as supporting the monarch- was deemed untenable by the late Queen.

And just 14 months ago, when Harry learned he had lost a Court of Appeal challenge over losing his automatic right to taxpayer-funded security in his homeland, he even said he couldn’t "see a world in which I would be bringing my wife and children back to the UK" and previously said it was "too dangerous".

But in a remarkable turn of events, not only are the Sussexes setting up a home in a non-royal residence, thought to be outside of London, but they have enrolled their children Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.

It comes just six weeks after Harry brought Meghan and his children to the UK for their first family visit together in four years, where they met the King at his Highgrove country retreat in Gloucestershire - and after years of firing off bitter allegations against the royals from the other side of the Atlantic.

In 2021, in their infamous tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey while the late Prince Philip was in hospital during his final weeks, the couple claimed an unnamed royal had made a racist remark about unborn son Archie’s skin tone and accused the monarchy of failing to help a suicidal Meghan.

It prompted Harry’s late grandmother Elizabeth II to say the issue raised would be dealt with privately, adding “some recollections may vary”.

But the controversy didn’t stop there, and when they welcomed their daughter Lilibet Diana months later, a royal aide said the late Queen was “as angry as I’d ever seen her” following the Sussexes’ claim she gave her blessing for them to use her childhood nickname for their second child.

Their railing against the Royal Family continued a year later with the release of their controversial Netflix documentary and Harry’s memoir, Spare, which overshadowed the start of the King’s reign.

When it came to his brother, Harry dubbed Prince William his ‘archnemesis’ and claimed he knocked him to the floor and into a dog bowl after a row over Meghan boiled over.

He also attacked his stepmother, Queen Camilla , calling her ‘dangerous’ and accused his relatives of a “horrible reaction” and not inviting him on a plane from London to Balmoral to see the late Queen on the day she died.

Harry was at the Coronation of the King in 2023 - without his wife - but he spent less than 24 hours in the country.

Read the full article on The Mirror UK News ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.mirror.co.uk — the content belongs to The Mirror UK News.

This story in other outlets

More from The Mirror UK News

See all ›

More in UK News

See all ›