Friday, 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
World

Trump can keep building his White House ballroom, for now, Supreme Court rules

The Independent World ·
Trump can keep building his White House ballroom, for now, Supreme Court rules

The Supreme Court will let Donald Trump continue building his White House ballroom and “military complex” while a legal challenge against the East Wing’s demolition and sprawling construction project continues.

Friday’s one-page decision from Chief Justice John Roberts gives the president permission to keep building what his administration is increasingly describing as a highly fortified military installation that is vital to the safety and security of the president.

A months-long legal battle has stalled construction, but the president urged the Supreme Court last week to intervene and let him build what he has called a “desperately needed National Security structure” — including a sprawling underground bunker and rooftop military complex with a bulletproof, hermetically sealed ballroom built with nuclear-blast-resistant materials sandwiched in between.

A federal appeals court in Washington, D.C. ordered the government to stop construction on the project by Friday unless Congress — or the Supreme Court — stepped in.

With Friday’s order, the administration can continue construction while federal courts hear arguments over the plans and whether Trump subverted the role of Congress with his unilateral decision to demolish the East Wing.

Trump’s plans initially envisioned an ornate White House ballroom stuffed with gold finishes and marble floors, but court filings over the last several months have detailed what officials called “top secret” designs that revealed the primary purpose of the 90,000-square-foot ballroom project.

The president told reporters at the White House on Monday that military officials approached him with plans for the military complex after he announced his intentions to build a ballroom.

He said he was told there is an “opportunity to build deep into the ground and build a military facility to go with the White House — and to go with all of Washington, D.C., which would be so valuable.”

If the Supreme Court doesn’t stop him, the project “will in all likelihood become irreversible,” preservationists who sued the administration wrote to the justices this week.

Because the materials used to construct the project are meant to withstand even nuclear blasts, there would be no way to take any of it down even if the courts intervened later, the group argued.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation said the administration’s “striking admission” that the project is “on the brink of a fait accompli” is precisely why the Supreme Court must stop construction now.

“The question is simply who decides whether a ballroom can be built on federal property. Our constitutional system and federal law commits that choice to Congress,” the group wrote.

There is nothing that prevents the president from asking Congress for one – “today, tomorrow, or any time in the future,” they added.

But Trump’s attempt to “foil judicial review and arrogate Congress’s exclusive powers should not be rewarded” with a court order that allows him to continue construction that he lacked “any authority to commence in the first place,” the group argued.

Read the full article on The Independent World ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.independent.co.uk — the content belongs to The Independent World.

This story in other outlets

More from The Independent World

See all ›

More in World

See all ›