Trump interrupted by protester as he stumps for Darline Graham after debate gaffe
President Donald Trump’s stump speech for South Carolina Senator Darline Graham on Friday was briefly interrupted by a protester. Trump, however, appeared unfazed by the interjection, quipping that the demonstrator’s “mom is voting for us.”
The disruption did little to derail the president’s pitch for Graham, who is running in Tuesday’s GOP primary runoff. Trump urged Palmetto State voters to cast their ballots for her, while praising what he cast as her attentiveness to pocketbook concerns .
The campaign appearance came after Graham — who was appointed to complete her late brother’s term and is now seeking a full six-year term — made an awkward admission during a debate this week, saying she was “not that informed” on national security issues.
Elsewhere in his remarks, Trump said he was buoyed by a Supreme Court ruling allowing him, for now, to press ahead with construction of his gargantuan White House ballroom.
Much of the roughly 80-minute address, though, followed the familiar contours of a typical Trump rally: attacks on Democrats, warnings that they are “ full on communists ” bent on destroying the country, and a rosy assessment of a U.S. economy — which he claimed is booming under his stewardship.
“We were a dumb, stupid country led by a very, very stupid person,” he said. “We’re the smart country now.”
Roughly 20 minutes through the president’s speech at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center on Friday, a male protester rose from the crowd and interrupted Trump, who stood silently at the podium and watched for several moments.
The man wore a black T-shirt reading, “Kill Your Local Pedophile,” and video footage showed him standing to display the message.
Much of the crowd booed and began chanting “USA,” while one man in an American-flag shirt appeared to give the protester the middle finger. About a minute later, the protester was escorted from the room.
“That person's going home to mom, gonna get scolded because mom is voting for us,” he continued. “You know, mom is on it.”
Early on during his remarks, the president expressed that he was in “a very good mood” due to a recent Supreme Court ruling.
“I didn't mention this to Darline because today we just learned that the big decision of the United States Supreme Court came down,” he said. “ And we have a ruling that — it's proceed. When they say proceed, I think that's a good thing.”
Earlier on Friday, Chief Justice John Roberts issued a one-page decision which blocked lower court orders that would have halted above-ground construction of the 90,000-square-foot event space.
“It's going to be the greatest of its kind anywhere that's ever been built, and it's something that presidents have wanted to be built for over 150 years,” the 80-year-old president said of the ballroom.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.independent.co.uk — the content belongs to The Independent World.