Harry and Meghan's security arrangements a private matter, PM says
Security arrangements for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex on their return to the UK are a "private matter," Prime Minister Andy Burnham has said.
He added: "It's a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making."
It comes after it emerged that the couple intend to relocate with their children from the US to the UK later this month to a private, non-royal residence outside London.
Security for the couple has long been a point of tension, with Prince Harry losing a legal challenge last year over the levels of security he and his family are entitled to while in the UK.
The couple's children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are enrolled to start at a British school in September.
King Charles was told of the move on Sunday. There are no current plans for either Prince Harry or Meghan to resume their roles as working royals.
The Sussexes left the UK and stepped back from their royal duties in early 2020, before settling in California in March that year.
They were last in the UK in July to visit the King and Queen Camilla, in what was seen as a key development in their relationship.
The Palace described the meeting at the King's private home in Gloucestershire as a "private family occasion".
It was the first time the King had seen his grandchildren in person in more than four years, and the couple's first visit to the UK together since 2022.
It is understood that July's visit had to be adjusted after the duke's request for police protection was rejected.
Last year, Prince Harry lost a legal challenge in which he sought to overturn a decision that had downgraded his security after his move to the US.
At the time, he told the BBC that he "can't see a world" in which he would bring his family to the UK due to the downgrading of his protection.
It is unclear what provisions will be made for their security once they return to the UK.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.bbc.co.uk — the content belongs to BBC News (Top Stories).