Reform says it will prioritise British-born young workers for social housing
Reform UK has said it will prioritise British-born workers under 35 when allocating social housing if it were to enter government.
Reform deputy leader Richard Tice will set out plans to build 50,000 affordable social homes a year in a news conference on Monday, a policy which the party claims will require no new taxes or borrowing.
On top of British-born workers, former military service personnel and married couples with children will also be prioritised, Reform said.
A Labour spokesperson called the plans "unserious and unworkable" and accused Reform of pushing "gimmicks and division" with plans that "go after long-term UK residents that have contributed to our country".
Reform previously announced it would evict foreign nationals from social housing - a plan criticised by housing charity Shelter which said building more homes is the solution, rather than "changing the order of the queue" and "stoking division".
Tice will set out how the Reform intends to pay for the 50,000 affordable homes during Monday's news conference, the party added.
"It is time for us to prioritise young British workers, and that is what our policy is about," Tice said on Sunday.
"I have spent my entire career in property development, as a private citizen I have led companies which delivered thousands of new homes. In government I will break down the barriers to getting generation rent onto the housing ladder."
He added it is "time to get Britain building" and give "our young people the homes they deserve".
UK or Irish nationals made up 88.5% of main social home householders in 2024/25, according to the English Housing Survey.
That means around 11.5% of main householders, the person in whose name the social home is rented, were non-UK or Irish nationals.
For its part, Reform estimates 540,000 social homes are currently occupied by foreign nationals.
Labour rubbished Reform's plans and insisted social housing is already "tightly controlled".
"Illegal migrants, asylum seekers and migrants on student or work visas are not eligible for social housing," the Labour spokesperson said.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.bbc.co.uk — the content belongs to BBC News (Top Stories).