Carlos Baleba: Manchester United book medical for latest summer signing after agreeing £70m transfer
Manchester United are closing in on the signing of Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba .
Standard Sport reported earlier in the week that Man United were in active negotiations with Brighton to bring the 22-year-old to Old Trafford before the summer transfer window closes.
Now, according to Fabrizio Romano, a verbal agreement in place between the two clubs for a deal worth £65million, including a further £5m in add-ons.
The Cameroon international has also been granted permission by Brighton to undergo a medical this weekend, though an ankle injury will delay his Man Utd debut by a few weeks at least.
Assuming there are not issues with the medical, Baleba will become the fourth signing of the summer for Michael Carrick’s side, following the arrivals of Andrey Santos, Youri Tielemans and Karl Darlow.
Carlos Baleba London Standard With that said, when speaking in United’s pre-Hull press conference on Thursday, Carrick was asked about the club’s transfer plans separate to the Baleba deal.
After releasing Tyrell Malacia on a free transfer and not making progress on a deal for Newcastle’s Lewis Hall, signing a left-back is expected to be United’s priority between now and Deadline Day.
Carrick said: “I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad. We're certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.
“You know, I said the same thing to you last time. So, yeah, certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.standard.co.uk — the content belongs to Evening Standard.