Man Utd news: Myles Lewis-Skelly update emerges as club makes early transfer approach
The need for new signings was laid bare as Manchester United made the worst possible start to the new season
United have so far bolstered their midfield with the signings of Andrey Santos from Chelsea and Youri Tielemans from Aston Villa , while Carlos Baleba is on the way from Brighton . However, the shocking 2-0 defeat against newly promoted Hull underlined how much more work there is to do before the transfer window slams shut on September 1.
A new left-back is desirable, with United being linked with a move for Arsenal youngster Myles Lewis-Skelly and Newcastle's Lewis Hall.
With the Champions League now on the schedule, it is imperative that United strengthen in several positions. Ahead of a crucial fortnight for the club, here's a round-up of the latest United transfer news.
FOLLOW OUR MAN UTD FB PAGE! Latest United news and more on our dedicated Facebook page
United's reason for not pressing ahead with a move for Lewis-Skelly has emerged. The versatile Gunners man, who can also operate in midfield, was subject of interest from both United and Chelsea.
Arsenal were open about the fact he could move, but their valuation ultimately saw United walk away from talks. That's according to The Athletic's David Ornstein, who said the price quoted was "too high" for United, who then switched their attention to long-time target Baleba.
Gunners boss Mikel Arteta has since said he is "100 per cent" certain Lewis-Skelly will stay put. Hall is another left-back on United's wish-list, but again, they have been put off by the asking price.
Hall is now said to be in talks over a new Newcastle contract and a place in the players' leadership team under new boss Matthias Jaissle.
Aston Villa have reportedly contacted Manchester United over the availability of Joshua Zirkzee. It is a case of when, not if, the Dutch striker leaves following an underwhelming spell at Old Trafford.
Zirkzee has been strongly linked with a move to Napoli, but that deal is on hold as the Serie A side need to move a player out first. That has opened the door for other potential suitors.
According Fabrizio Romano, they include Villa, whose squad has undergone a massive overhaul this summer, with the likes of Lucas Digne, Morgan Rogers and Ezri Konsa, plus Tielemans, departing.
A host of new signings have arrived, including former United pair Alejandro Garnacho and Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Romano said Villa had recently "made a call" about Zirkzee, while adding that their interest is in its early stages.
Sky's Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle includes at least 215 live Premier League clashes across the 2026/27 season, with more than 1,500 games from the EFL and beyond, plus F1, golf and darts.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.mirror.co.uk — the content belongs to The Mirror Football.