Tuesday, 18 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
Latest

Water supply restored to 7,400 properties in Kent, South East Water says

BBC News (Top Stories) ·
Water supply restored to 7,400 properties in Kent, South East Water says

Drinking water supplies have been restored to about 7,400 properties in Kent which have been experiencing no water or low pressure, South East Water (SEW) has said.

More than 8,000 customers were affected by the latest supply disruptions, which SEW said was a result of prolonged hot weather, high demand, pipe bursts, and power issues.

Mike Court, South East Water incident manager, said earlier supplies had been restored to homes in Herne Bay, Rough Common and Blean.

However, he said about 400 properties in the Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden areas were continuing to experience low pressure or no water and properties in Herne Bay might experience "intermittent supplies" later.

Residents had been told it could be a couple of days before their water supplies were restored , with some having experienced days of disruption.

A bottled water station has reopened in Cranbrook, which has been the worst affected area alongside Benenden.

Court said: "Water levels within our drinking water storage tank which supplies the area remains critically low.

"We're therefore urging all customers to continue using water for essential uses only today."

Incident support manager Mike Pickard told BBC South East the team were "exhausted and being pushed to limits" trying to manage the "unacceptable" situation.

While understanding the difficulties faced by customers, SEW said it was also aware of a number of incidents of abuse directed at staff and contractors, which it would "not tolerate".

Also reacting on Monday, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the situation was "simply not good enough."

A spokesperson said the company's new leadership "must now deliver a step change in performance, where customers' needs are prioritised".

Read the full article on BBC News (Top Stories) ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.bbc.co.uk — the content belongs to BBC News (Top Stories).

More from BBC News (Top Stories)

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›