Arsenal in 'frequent contact' with Julian Alvarez as tensions grow at Atletico Madrid
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and sporting director Andrea Berta have been in 'frequent contact' with Julian Alvarez and haven't given up hope of signing the unsettled Atletico Madrid striker.
The Gunners are determined to add a world-class forward to their squad before the summer transfer window closes. Alvarez has been focused on leaving Atletico Madrid for Barcelona , but hasn't ruled out a return to the Premier League .
Things have got increasingly messy between Atleti and their star forward - and it could play into Arsenal's hands. Barca saw their €100million (£86m) bid rejected earlier this summer, with Atleti then reporting their La Liga rivals for allegedly tapping up the Argentina international.
Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone wants to keep the 26-year-old, but tensions behind the scenes could trigger a transfer. Atleti chief executive Miguel Ángel Gil Marín said on Friday that Alvarez "has not had the best advisors" this summer after saying he wanted to "fulfil his dream" of joining Barca.
Gil Marín's words prompted a not-so-subtle response from Alvarez's agent Fernando Hidalgo, who wrote on social media: "Never ask a liar why he lied. To explain himself, he would have to lie again."
According to ESPN, Barcelona have given up on signing Alvarez, with Atleti refusing to engage in negotiations. They have turned their attention to his Argentina team-mate Lautaro Martinez, of Inter Milan.
AS reports that Alvarez doesn't understand his club's approach to the transfer saga and remains determined to leave before the window closes on September 1. He would still prefer to join Barcelona, but is conscious of not closing the door on Arsenal either.
Arteta and Berta have been keeping in touch with Alvarez, who is said to appreciate their interest. A move to Arsenal is considered to be 'a welcome emergency solution' for Alvarez, even if he doesn't want to uproot his family from Madrid.
He is continuing to train for Atleti, but is expected to receive a frosty reception from the supporters when they host Villarreal on Sunday. Simeone has tried to cool the situation ahead of what should be his first appearance since the World Cup.
"There's no uncertainty. Miguel Ángel [Gil Marín] spoke clearly," he said. "For me he's a really important player to achieve our objectives. We'll be with him, we'll look after him on the sporting side, because he's our player... He'll be in the squad tomorrow."
"Atlético Madrid, like every big club, is built on great players, and Julián is one of them, as well as being a great professional," Gil Marín told EFE on Friday. "We have to compete with our values, with homegrown players and the best players we can bring in from outside.
"We are going to help Julián and continue to look after him, so he can reach his full potential...
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.mirror.co.uk — the content belongs to The Mirror Football.