Judge denies Karmelo Anthony's bid for new trial after ex-lawyers detail dispute that kept him from testifying
A Texas judge denied Karmelo Anthony a new trial Saturday, after his attorneys argued that courtroom restrictions, hearings held without Anthony present and the handling of an unwritten agreement between his former lawyers and prosecutors violated his rights.
Retired District Judge Michael Chitty denied Anthony’s request after reviewing the motion, court record, evidence and arguments, briefs and relevant case law, according to his order.
The order did not detail his reasoning for the decision.
The decision leaves Anthony’s murder conviction and 35-year prison sentence in place.
His challenge will continue on direct appeal.
UNTAPPED KARMELO ANTHONY EVIDENCE CACHE SHOWED HE STALKED EX-GIRLFRIEND, HAD 'KNIVES' OBSESSION: PROSECUTORS Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said his office expected the decision and remains confident in the case.
"We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial.
The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process," his statement said.
"Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing." Chitty heard two days of testimony in McKinney, Texas, after Judge Sid Harle removed the judge who presided over Anthony’s murder trial, Judge John Roach, from the remaining trial court proceedings earlier this week.
JUDGE DEFENDS BARRING CAMERAS FROM KARMELO ANTHONY MURDER TRIAL, SAYS IT WAS 'AN EASY DECISION' Harle found that a reasonable outside observer could question whether Roach appeared impartial after he publicly said the jury "got it right" and defended several of his trial decisions.
At the center of the new trial hearing was an oral agreement between Anthony’s original defense attorneys and prosecutors to keep potentially damaging character evidence involving both sides from reaching the jury.
KARMELO ANTHONY STAYS SILENT AS ANALYSTS WARN DEFENSE FACES UPHILL BATTLE IN TRACK MEET STABBING TRIAL Former lead defense attorney Mike Howard testified that he understood the agreement to allow Anthony to testify if he stayed focused on the confrontation under the tent at a Frisco track meet .
FOLLOW THE FOX TRUE CRIME TEAM ON X On the final day of the trial, prosecutors told the defense the agreement would not apply if Anthony took the stand and that the defense had opened the door to character evidence.
Howard said the dispute led to a heated break in the proceedings and made Anthony unwilling to testify.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.foxnews.com — the content belongs to Fox News.