Harry and Meghan Sensationally Quit California
Photo Illustration by Victoria Sunday/The Daily Beast/Getty Images Harry and Meghan are moving back to the U.K. full time in the next few weeks, and will enroll their kids at British schools.
The extraordinary development will see the couple relocate from the United States before the end of August, settling in a private, non-royal residence believed to be outside London.
Their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, have been enrolled at a British school and are due to start in September, the Telegraph said.
According to the report, by the paper’s deputy royal editor Victoria Ward, there are no current plans for either the Duke or Duchess to resume official duties as working members of the Royal family, though the move inevitably raises the possibility that they could do so at some point in the future.
The King was told of the couple’s decision on Sunday, the Telegraph reported, adding that the subject was not raised when the Sussexes visited him at Highgrove in July.
He was said to be “naturally” pleased at the prospect of seeing more of his family on a regular basis.
The monarch is nonetheless understood to be clear that the couple’s status as non-working royals and private individuals—in line with their previously stated wishes—will not change.
The Prince and Princess of Wales have also been informed, the paper said.
No details of the family’s security arrangements have been disclosed, and there has been no announcement of any change.
Prince Harry has previously said he would not feel safe bringing his wife and children to the U.K. without police protection, something he has fought to secure for several years, and which the British state has so far consistently refused to provide.
The Telegraph reported that the couple will keep their homes in Montecito, California, and in Portugal, and that the Duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever — which sources insisted to the paper is thriving — from their new British base.
Sources suggested the UK would be the family’s primary home for an extended period, although no final decision has been taken on whether the move will be permanent.
The locations of the house and the children’s school are being withheld for privacy reasons.
The reported move comes more than six years after the couple stepped back from royal duties and left Britain in pursuit of financial independence, agreeing not to use their HRH titles.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thedailybeast.com — the content belongs to The Daily Beast.