Tuesday, August 18, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇺🇸 US ▾
BREAKING
Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension Composting is an easy way to reduce food waste. Here's how to do it Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension Composting is an easy way to reduce food waste. Here's how to do it
Latest

Massive risk in South China Sea exposed after four-day power loss on US Navy destroyer

Fox News ·
Massive risk in South China Sea exposed after four-day power loss on US Navy destroyer

A U.S. guided-missile destroyer spent four days without power in the South China Sea last month after an engineering casualty involving its generators, forcing the Navy to tow the warship to the Philippines for repairs.

USS Benfold lost power July 24 and was towed on July 28 to Subic Bay in the Philippines, where power was restored two days later, according to U.S.

7th Fleet.

The ship reported an "engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power," Cmdr.

Matthew Comer, a spokesperson for U.S.

7th Fleet, said in a statement to Fox News Digital.

"There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism and unwavering steadiness in their response." The power loss disrupted galley services, toilets, air conditioning and potable water aboard the nearly 10,000-ton warship.

CENTCOM COMMANDER TOUTS USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN MENTAL HEALTH RECORD AFTER MORE THAN 260 DAYS WITHOUT PORT CALL The guided-missile cruiser USS Robert Smalls helped provide meals for the crew, while the strike group supported the destroyer during the casualty, 7th Fleet said.

No injuries were reported.

The Navy has not publicly detailed whether the casualty affected the Benfold's propulsion, navigation, communications, sensors, weapons systems or emergency power.

Those facts will help define the operational impact of the failure as the Navy investigates its cause.

The ship is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, which was operating with the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group at the time of the power outage.

The breakdown occurred while the destroyer was in the South China Sea, a strategically vital waterway where the U.S.

Navy routinely operates with allies and partners as China presses sweeping territorial claims.

Read the full article on Fox News ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.foxnews.com — the content belongs to Fox News.

This story in other outlets

More from Fox News

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›