Saturday, August 22, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇺🇸 US ▾
BREAKING
Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension
World

Former Hong Kong vigil organizer strives to mark Tiananmen crackdown despite convictions

ABC News International ·
Former Hong Kong vigil organizer strives to mark Tiananmen crackdown despite convictions

Years after Hong Kong’s annual vigil for the Tiananmen Square crackdown ended, former organizer Tang Ngok-kwan still discreetly visits former memorial sites in the city

HONG KONG -- Tang Ngok-kwan still occasionally visits the places where Hong Kong once publicly remembered Beijing’s 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown .

Though Tang's fellow activists were locked up in prison, accused of inciting subversion, and an annual candlelight vigil they previously organized to mourn the crackdown's victims vanished, the 58-year-old continues to personally and discreetly remember the event, which is a political taboo on mainland China.

At Victoria Park, where tens of thousands of people once gathered for the only large-scale public commemoration of the crackdown in China, Tang bowed on the eve of the anniversary and read of a list of the victims in a low voice. He sometimes returns to two university campuses where commemorative sculptures once stood, even though most traces of their existence already have vanished.

Two of Tang's former colleagues were convicted Friday under a Beijing-imposed national security law, facing a maximum prison term of 10 years. Their vigil organizing group also was found guilty. Government-approved judges ruled the pair had incited others to overthrow the leadership of China’s Communist Party through unlawful means.

Many observers say the convictions were the latest case reflecting the decline in freedoms in the former British colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

Tang told The Associated Press that the arguments in the verdict did not convince him and he felt wronged on behalf of those convicted.

“After the alliance was convicted, I feel that whenever people bring up the alliance, there’ll be a sense of wariness around it,” he said.

Tang was an ordinary young man when he joined a wave of people who marched in Hong Kong in support of Beijing's student-led, pro-democracy protests in May 1989.

When tanks rolled into the heart of Beijing on the night of June 3-4 to quell the protests, Tang didn’t sleep. Hundreds, possibly thousands of people, were killed during the crackdown.

Shortly after the bloody event, some members of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, along with others sympathetic to the protesters, mobilized to help bring those wanted by authorities to safety. The group also ran the massive public candlelight vigil that attracted tens of thousands of people annually for three decades.

Tang says he feels a moral burden because he believes Hong Kong's support might have left the students in a position with no easy exit in 1989. That kept Tang, who turned from a volunteer to a core member of the alliance, working behind the scenes for years.

Authorities banned the annual vigil in 2020, citing risks to public health during the COVID-19 pandemic. Weeks later, Beijing imposed the security law, saying it was necessary for the city's stability following massive protests in 2019.

The alliance's fate was called into question in 2021. A mainland Chinese official criticized those chanting “end one-party dictatorship,” without naming the group.

Read the full article on ABC News International ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on abcnews.go.com — the content belongs to ABC News International.

More from ABC News International

See all ›

More in World

See all ›